I have a request to allow the upload of gzip and bzip2 files as they are the two most used compression formats on the linux platform.

The extensions would be: gz & bz2

Cheers!

Originally Posted by HardCoder
I have a request to allow the upload of gzip and bzip2 files as they are the two most used compression formats on the linux platform.

The extensions would be: gz & bz2

Cheers!
I thought the common ones were .tar/.tar.gz... (I wouldn't know, I'm a Windows user). So does that mean... if we were allowed to upload .tar/.tar.gz files, we could install programs in those formats for regular Linux onto this tablet?

In theory yes it might be possible, but the N770 doesn't have any support for packages like that. So for installation i find it much better to stay with .deb that is used now.

.tar.gz and .tar.bz2 mostly contains source code when used to distribute programs.

The reason for requesting .gz and .bz2 is because when sending patches (textfiles containing changes to source code) they sometimes get pretty large and then it would be great to be able to use gz or bz2 as they are the standard used on Linux.

cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to HardCoder For This Useful Post: