Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
except the N9, N950 and Asus X101, is there any device booting up MeeGo?
well, on the netbook side of the fence, i guess any WIntel device will do, but on the MID side of things?

EDIT: baaah, silly me... the N900, of course
otherwise?
http://wiki.meego.com/Devices (please note that the list is a bit outdated so there's more...)

Also see http://wiki.meego.com/Devices/Unlisted_Handsets

In addition to those there's snowball, trimslice, tegra2, etc.

I guess the message here is that MeeGo is a platform that *can* and *is* being ported to new platforms.

ps. removed the coloring from the quote since I don't get the need to use those...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by rishabsp View Post
There was Alien-Dalvik which was made to run android apps on maemo....but nokia never purchased it...now nokia is planning to buy dalvik for meego so as to keep N9 users happy....so there will be a dallvik for meego....hope some mods can port it to maemo...
Any references to support yyour claims about Nokia's dalvik transaction?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rishabsp View Post
There was Alien-Dalvik which was made to run android apps on maemo....but nokia never purchased it...now nokia is planning to buy dalvik for meego so as to keep N9 users happy....so there will be a dallvik for meego....hope some mods can port it to maemo...
(article is from 22nd of june 2011...)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
http://wiki.meego.com/Devices (please note that the list is a bit outdated so there's more...)

Also see http://wiki.meego.com/Devices/Unlisted_Handsets

In addition to those there's snowball, trimslice, tegra2, etc.

I guess the message here is that MeeGo is a platform that *can* and *is* being ported to new platforms.

ps. removed the coloring from the quote since I don't get the need to use those...
apologies for stumbling into your kitchen
guess i'll settle with my 2nd N900 as a MeeGo test bed
can't afford to put 2000 bucks into a "dev device" (Aava?) and have no use of a developer board, sorry
but i might end up using the N900 as a test devices for some bleeding edge features (Cordia ?)

any way, as i have a dedicated N900 for MeeGo i would like to install it on eMMC.
already found the ARM/N900/Install/EMMC page but can't seem to find the [Kernel] for
Code:
./n900-de-emmc-installer.sh -i [MeeGo Image] -f -k [Kernel]
?
any hint where i could find it?

PS: colors?
like i said, apologies for stumbling into your kitchen. i guess meego is fairly important to you and you resent the colourful parrot sitting on it
it isn't quite that, though
it is more of a protest against, well, i won't call them trolls, because they don't even deserve that, more the flame warriors who pick one sentence in a post (of maybe 1000 to 1500 characters...) make a ridiculous or even insulting comment and hit and run, hopping of course to start yet another fight...
i usually take time to collect info for my posts & edit them & the colors are like doting the Is and crossing the Ts.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
any way, as i have a dedicated N900 for MeeGo i would like to install it on eMMC.
already found the ARM/N900/Install/EMMC page
Good. that's why I wrote the page and the installation script so people can do that if they choose to.

but can't seem to find the [Kernel] for
Code:
./n900-de-emmc-installer.sh -i [MeeGo Image] -f -k [Kernel]
?

any hint where i could find it?
You'll find the kernel from the the same place you take the image (the .raw.bz2 file). The kernel is the file that's name ends with e.g. vmlinuz-2.6.37-42.6.DE-adaptation-n900

And about the eMMC installation. While you are free to do that - you should know that the performance is better when running it from e.g. class 6 memory card. So I'd recommend using a class 6 memory card and booting it using uboot. Doing this doesn't require flashing/loading the kernel. Besides it's simpler and the preferred way.

ps. If you end up doing the eMMC installation don't get fooled about the "takes about 10 minutes" message. In reality it takes something like 20-30 minutes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
While they're posts about the n900, they are still off topic for this thread.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
While they're posts about the n900, they are still off topic for this thread.
Very true. To push things back to the topic I'll copy-paste what I have to say about the matter from MeeGo forums:

Useless to start blaming LF for this and that or guessing what can or cannot happen. The decision was made and we have to live with it. Instead I'd like to see this as a wake-up call for making things happen. Most people who have been hanging around here more than a few weeks know that MeeGo from meego.com is not really aimed for individual end users and I don't think that will change nor it should (this seems to be the thing causing the most of the confusion around MeeGo). So...

I've been silently wishing for a MeeGo based end-user targetted community controlled distribution. Think of suse/openSuse setup or the N9x0 CE with a wider scope. First version of the community controlled MeeGo distribution would be basically stable MeeGo 1.2.something with applications and other things you expect from a Linux distro. The important thing about this is that it wouldn't be a fork and it would meet the compliancy terms. I hope this is a hard enough push to make this happen.

Having this would of course bring other freedoms like the ability to include different UXs like Plasma active, cordia or whatnot.

At least I would contribute to this effort.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Good. that's why I wrote the page and the installation script so people can do that if they choose to.

You'll find the kernel from the the same place you take the image (the .raw.bz2 file). The kernel is the file that's name ends with e.g. vmlinuz-2.6.37-42.6.DE-adaptation-n900

And about the eMMC installation. While you are free to do that - you should know that the performance is better when running it from e.g. class 6 memory card. So I'd recommend using a class 6 memory card and booting it using uboot. Doing this doesn't require flashing/loading the kernel. Besides it's simpler and the preferred way.

ps. If you end up doing the eMMC installation don't get fooled about the "takes about 10 minutes" message. In reality it takes something like 20-30 minutes.
thank you for the "link" & the extra advice
had actually found How to Get MeeGo on the Nokia N900
even though it is from last year for 1.1, it mentions the '*vmlinuz*' kernel file too

i have bricked Fremantle on the 2nd N900, so i need to reflash it anyway and i though i would do it with MeeGo right away...
then again, i do have a class 6 mmc available, so i might as well flash Fremantle and use that as a test system.

would you mind if i update the eMMC page to mention that an install on an external MMC card of class 6 or higher provides better performance?

PS: would Fremantle on an external MMC perform faster then on the eMMC as well? ¦:-}

Very true. To push things back to the topic I'll copy-paste what I have to say about the matter from MeeGo forums:
okay, last digression about N900 running MeeGo on a... MeeGo thread.
on a N900 forum.
obviously strikes me as a capital crime, no question asked

dd.ed mg-handset-armv7nhl-n900-ce-stable-1.2.0.90.11.20110728.1.DE.2011-08-01.1-mmcblk0p.raw.bz2 to a mmc
WIP, indeed.
wasn't able to get wi-fi working (have a psswd which is a little more complicated then the 1st girl-friend or pet's name so just typing it in isn't an option; was able to SMS it, but cut & past doesn't work, thus...)
3G is available, but network set up does not seem to work
but could also be the fact that i use a pre-pay SIM in the secondary device.
bottom line being that i'm unable to install anything.

considering that dd.ing the mmc is fairly easy, i'll give it another try as soon as a new stable release is available, but 'til then...

thanks for your time!

EDIT: had a doubt whether Ctrl+C was implemented, so decided to give it another try w/ Ctrl+X
turned out that before i had a chance to do that, a pop up suddenly appeared after i had selected the proper text offering either Copy or Cut
it is not consistent, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't but, well, Cut / Copy / Paste are available
then, Settings didn't want to open so rebooted & opened that 1st, praying that SMS would still, Copy / Cut still pop up...
did, but the connection doesn't work, nonetheless

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-08 at 12:05.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
What? No Diablo support? I am APPALLED, Sir!

Hey, seriously ... this should be possible. I'm not going to try but I'm sure we'll work with any nutters that want to. Issues would probably be around the potential redistribution of the binaries that the OBS tends to permit and possibly about getting qemu to run the sbox-oriented code.

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down