Notices

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Is there something like Samba for the N900?
Or, any other tools for sharing files to/from N900 in my home network?
Thanks, Ben

there is tinysmb in the repos which does what you want i believe

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
If you install Power Kernel, you get CIFS support, which will allow you to mount a Network Drive/share:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#CIFS_Support

I use it regularly, and transfer speed is quite good, and it is a real luxury having access to my NAS on my mobile phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by travla View Post
If you install Power Kernel, you get CIFS support, which will allow you to mount a Network Drive/share:

I use it regularly, and transfer speed is quite good, and it is a real luxury having access to my NAS on my mobile phone.
i use cifs/samba with the original kenel... and wizard mounter

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by travla View Post

Thank you, that is exactly what I have in mind, and also transferring stuff to and from my pc! Will try right away!

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
If you want to take it one step further, you can create a .desktop file in
Code:
/usr/share/applications/hildon
with the following contents:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Name=Mount NAS
Type=Application
Comment=Mount command used to map CIFS volume (requires Power Kernel)
Terminal=true
Exec=/usr/bin/osso-xterm "sudo mount -t cifs //YourNASName/YourShare /media/YourSharesNameonN900 -o username=,ip=NASIPAddress,direct"
Icon=nameoficon
X-Window-Icon=
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable/usr/share/applications/hildon
The bits that you need to fill in are in Bold Red; then add an icon file per nameoficon above, located in /opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/. I use PNG files, but JPEG is fine too, and it should have square dimensions (e.g. 64 x 64).

This will give you an icon in your menu that you can add to your desktop or launch from the menu. You will need to launch it each time you reboot if you want access to your NAS. It adds your share as a Top Level drive in file manager.

Hope this helps, Maemo may not be 100% Open Source, but you at least get freedom to do this sort of stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Thank you, that is exactly what I have in mind, and also transferring stuff to and from my pc! Will try right away!
Except, I'm kinda having problems with the instructions there. It says:

Code:
mount -t cifs //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename -o user=winusername,pass=winpassword,ip=destip,direct
Here's what I believe the portions of this command mean:

- netbiosname: would be the name of my Windows PC in my Home LAN
- sharename: the name of a shared folder on that Win PC
- media/sharename: path to the folder on my N900 where I want the shared Windows folder to appear (???)
- winusername: the username I use to log on to my Win PC
- winpassword: The password that goes along with that username, which in my case is nothing, I didn't set one. Do I need to leave a space here, or the "," right after the "="?
Like: "...pass=,ip="..."?
OR: "...pass= ,ip=..."?
destip : the LAN-IP of my router? Or the one of the WinPC (if this, how do I find that out?)?

Everything correct?

And the whole thing is supposed to give me access from my N900 to that shared folder, located on the Win PC?
If so, How about vice versa?
I want the N900 to be visible to other PCs on the network and capable of exchanging files with them, that exchange being executed from the Win PC.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
For vice versa you have to look at tinysmb.
-which was mentioned first in this thread.

http://my-maemo.com/software/applica...to=1853&faq=37

For the ip of the winpc you have to open a doswindow and execute IPCONFIG , that will tell the ips of all the interfaces.

However, if all you want to do is to synchronize files between them, then you can do like i do by using RSYNC on the N900 to a folder on the shared drive.
(GRSYNC will install rsync and provides a easy to use graphical frontend for it)

Last edited by electroaudio; 2011-09-07 at 10:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
I already found Smb in extras-devel and installed it, it gives me Samba 3.5.6, but it seems to be command-line only. What is the difference between Smb and Tinysmb, apart from the GUI?

For now, I configured and started a share with Tinysmb according to the instructions on my-maemo.org. It doesn't give any kind of confirmation when you press "start server" though, and I still can't see N900 on my WinPC. Also I'd like to password-protect the share, but the button for "check password" doesn't react. I tried to open the "tinypasswd" file in Filebox, indicated as location of the passwords in /etc/tinysmb/, but it wouldn't

However, if all you want to do is to synchronize files between them, then you can do like i do by using RSYNC on the N900 to a folder on the shared drive.
(GRSYNC will install rsync and provides a easy to use graphical frontend for it)
Thanks for the hint, will try this!

And, may I ask everyone a tiny favor: When you recommend that is still in the extras-devel repo, please add that information to your pointer! I (and maybe some other people too) usually don't have extras-devel enabled and I get frustrated when all the cool apps I've been told about seem to be not there ;-)

And also:Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post

http://my-maemo.com/software/applica...to=1853&faq=37

For the ip of the winpc you have to open a doswindow and execute IPCONFIG , that will tell the ips of all the interfaces.

Thanks for the hint, will try this!
I've recently done this and with a drive mounted to my networked computer grsync does it perfectly.