After getting the ublox-5 program from Wintec (but it may also be included or on their site), I've tried a few variations.

First, the navicore + bluetooth has a few hiccups, so if you use BT, go direct. I'm working on porting a very efficient mnigpsd. Two big things are it eats any non recognized NMEA sentence (including the private ones which in this case have more info) and it shuffles them - yes, I got samples and sentences well out of order, but when sorted it appeared solid except for a few dropouts which may have been another artifact.

The big thing is you can have EITHER SBAS corrections (WAAS) at 5Hz - which requires a manual 200ms setting, the main tool only has 4 and 10 Hz. OR you can have 10Hz without the SBAS corrections. The accuracy isn't that much greater with WAAS, and I prefer the 10Hz. Sometimes it can do SBAS at 10Hz, but tends to drop out every so often, particularly when tracking many more than 4 satellites.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Could you give a conclusion based on your testing or do you still have some more things to work out. I'm guessing from what you write you're giving this a thumbs up but when you find out could you officially say "Yes, I would personally recommend this GPS device" or "No, this device is good, but I would hold out for the ____, because ...".

I would give a "Yes", thumbs up, 5 stars. Personally would recommend.

(I returned from my motorcycle ride yesterday to find the entire 2 hour ride as 10Hz entries as KML files on a minigpsd I'm working on - it did miss some messages when starting, i.e. when the GPS was on my bike but the n810 was in my room so the BT signal might have been intermittent).

The only caveat is you will need the setup program to make it run fast and/or to tune it (it cannot do 5hz directly but there is a space for 250mS in a different program). So to really get the most out of it you will need to do some hacking and not just run it "out of the box" to access the advanced features. And it isn't always simple or trivial to change things.

Also, the default WAAS satellites are WRONG in the setup programs - they need to be manually set to 135,138 if you want to use them. They will work at 10Hz but you will start to have intermittent samples missing (generally every other one, but not consistently) when it is doing the SBAS corrections. It is solid at 5Hz.

One second caveat is that there is limited bandwidth and I don't know how the other mapping programs (besides my zmapper) will react to a 10Hz stream - they seemed to swallow 5Hz, but there might be delays or dropped waypoints or even potential crashes if any don't handle full queues gracefully.

At 5Hz it is as good as any of the other GPS units I've tried (mostly MTK, but also the Garmin GPS-18). I prefer the 10Hz.

It is small - the smallest in class, uses little power, is flexible, and generally works. In additon, it has a serial USB interface so you don't need bluetooth on your laptop to make it work (and yes, with cdc_acm.ko, it works in the n8x0 host mode).

So in nearly everything it beats any competition, though it only costs slightly more.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This is very interesting and I'm tempted to buy one, but the link on the site to the manual comes up blank for me. I wonder if that means something?

I have a google earth kmz comparison (rename .zip to .kmz)

http://www.zdez.org/NokIntVWinTec.zip

This link worked for me (or google: wintec gps 10hz).

http://www.semsons.com/wigiwblgpsre.html

Out of stock but also carried by:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/wintec-g-ra...mount-834.aspx

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Hey I was trying to figure out how accurate the time that is outputted in the NMEA string. Also what NMEA data is outputted? Thanks in advance for the help.

Tried to contact the manufacturer but they are in Taiwan

I've just got a unit, it is minute, I've linked up to a laptop via USB and all seemed to run ok. But where is all the data stored, I can't find anything in the G-Rays software to save/open the data?

I also can't turn the unit off unless I remove the battery, is there some special technique (press and hold doesn't work).

Is there a saftware package you would recommend to visualise/plot the data (will use for sprint and hillclimbing).

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

John

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
http://www.semsons.com/wigiwblgpsre.html

You have to set it to 10Hz but that is the maximum update rate and it will output sentences at that rate. It can also do 2Hz and 4Hz and others.

I just got it so I don't know much beyond the initial impressions.

It has USB (as CDC acm serial).

It takes a bit longer to get a cold cold first time fix.

Manual and setup utility is a bit confusing - DO read the help for each page and/or the ONLINE manual for the setup.

It claims it is waterproof, but I wouldn't immerse it.

Surprisingly small (like the common sized ones that all use the same batteries but not as thick, nor long).

I'll have more to report after a test-drive and some more analysis, but so far it looks good.