Hi all

I'm an N800 newbie - I've had it for about a month now. Generally, I find it to be a lot of fun. However, my main reason for buying it - for web browsing - drives my crazy. I hate the way the DPad navigates websites, and I've now reverted back to using my Nokia 6120c phone instead (even though it only has a 2 inch screen!)

I know this has been discussed somewhere previously, because I remember reading it, but I have just spent the last hour trying to find it without much luck. So sorry for reposting.

Anyway, I prefer to use the Dpad, because the stylus is difficult to use on a bus (too many bumps on the road!). However, the up/down clicks on the DPad follows links rather than scrolling up/down. I know you can hold the button down, but I find this difficult to control as it seems to get stuck sometimes and scrolls to the bottom of the page.

So I'm looking for either an alternate browser, or a solution to the DPad navigation problem. I found a possible solution here:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2423

But typing in the about:config line doesn't seem to change anything (although I get confirmation that the setting has changed). There is also a package on that site that can be installed - will that do what I'm wanting?

Any ideas?
Many thanks

Hmm, this works for me:
1) open with the broweser the page "about:config"
2) write in the field Name: "snav.enabled"
3) write in the field Value: "false"
4) hit "Set Preference"

I just found this yesterday:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...4&postcount=11

If you want it to do a whole page-down rather than moving a few lines, you can change the commands to 'cmd_scrollPageDown', etc.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Yes, install the package. Worked great for me.

Thanks guys - I tried just changing the prefs.js file and that seems to be working. Still not as good as the Nokia phones, but way better than before. I'll see how it goes scrolling line by line first, and then maybe switch to page by page - mainly because I haven't worked out root access yet - but I'll get there :-)

Thanks once again - much appreciated.

Originally Posted by ajd View Post
Hi all

...my main reason for buying it - for web browsing - drives my crazy. I hate the way the DPad navigates websites, and I've now reverted back to using my Nokia 6120c phone instead (even though it only has a 2 inch screen!)...

...Anyway, I prefer to use the Dpad, because the stylus is difficult to use on a bus (too many bumps on the road!). However, the up/down clicks on the DPad follows links rather than scrolling up/down. I know you can hold the button down, but I find this difficult to control as it seems to get stuck sometimes and scrolls to the bottom of the page.
I agree with all you said, ajd. I also sometimes have myself browsing in my mobile intead the N800 for the same reasons you said. I'll try to follow the instructions of this thread to see if I can get this solved.

Anyway, MicroB could come with more preferences for interface personalization, like these in this post. Simple to do, but hard to find out.

Thanks