Hello,

I am buying 16GB for my N800. The last thing to consider is to buy cheaper 4th class Kingston or 6th class A-Data.

I heard horror stories about mechanical quality of A-Data cards and I am not sure how big difference in real life is 6th and 4th class.

TIA

m.

Between those two, I'd go with the better brand name (Kingston).

I value speed (my N800 has a SanDisk Extreme and a Class 6 Kingston), but reliability is more important. And I trust Kingston reliability over A-Data.

I never had a problem with Kingston, and I'd prefer them any time. Reliable and life time guarantee.

I have the A-Data, and it seems to work fine.

I use it as my internal card, which I don't tend to swap in and out, so the mechanical issues are not really relevant.

I have all A-Data SD and SDHC cards. I've had one 4GB SD card fail within a year, and they replaced it. I also had a 8GB SDHC card that failed after 18 months, but I'm probably pretty hard on them. Replacing it was so inexpensive, I didn't bother trying to return it. A new 16GB card was only a little over $30, nearly 50% less than what I'd paid for the 8GB.

Originally Posted by therblack View Post
I have the A-Data, and it seems to work fine.

I use it as my internal card, which I don't tend to swap in and out, so the mechanical issues are not really relevant.
Same here... so far no problems with the A-data 16 GB cards I have!

--denis

Using the highly technical analysis offered by windows vista home edition, i've seen data write speeds on my A-Data card top 12mbs

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
I heard horror stories about mechanical quality of A-Data cards and I am not sure how big difference in real life is 6th and 4th class.
I've actually heard the same thing: A-Data cards failing mechanically, but not electrically (well, not more than any other brand). So it depends how you're going to use it. If it's going to stay in your tablet, rather than going through insert/remove/put-in-pocket-and-sit-on cycles, the A-data should be fine. (Though truth be told, I've got one 4GB A-data card which I actually swap around more than any other card, and it's holding up fine. I never carry it loose, though; it's always in one device or another.)

But one thing's for sure: I'd definitely go for Class 6, of whatever brand, if you plan on cloning to it. Transferring large media collections (the only other reason I know for a big card) is also a good argument for Class 6, but can be mitigated by setting it to transfer overnight. But if you clone, boot times and load times are with you always. Also, whether you clone or not, if you use swap on the card, faster is better. (OTOH, you could use a slow, big card for storage, and put the cloned system and swap on a 2-4GB Class 6 if the cost is a major factor.)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Then again, cloned system would be best on Sandisk Extreme III with 20mb/s read/write... Though a 16GB costs almost a full N800 price these days

Is there a particular reason you are going Kingston or A-Data, because I have been using 16GB patriot class 6s for a while and they are still going strong.