Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I received it this AM and have been putting it through it's paces all day.

User Manual

It does everything I hoped it would and is the killer app I was looking for to help justify my purchase.

Pics and more to follow later.

BTW, it comes with US east, US west, Canada and Alaska pre-loaded on a 2 gig (not 1 gig) with 390 MB of free space.

These maps are also loaded on a CD for re-installation. The suction cup windshield attachment arm is very well made. All in all, well worth the $239 with free shipping.

This might be a dumb question, but does it require a cell phone with Bluetooth or is it independent? Looking forward to the pictures.

Hoss

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
It does not need a cell phone.

Awhile back there was talk of a bundle to be distributed through at least Compusa. Maybe that has been shelved due to Compusa's store closings. Has anyone heard any recent news about a bundle?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Wimer, Oregon
Wow! I didn't think they'd have gotten around to releasing the U.S. version so shortly after Europe. I'm most pleased!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I was even more pleased when I found out that Navicore did not forget all those who bought Navicore for the Nokia 770 earlier.

Navicore offers free (!) update (software and maps) for those users. The update includes the software for the N800 as well as for the 770.

Preliminary stuff...

A. Interface

1. Every thing you need for North America is included on the 2 gig Mini... (Ships with an adapter).
Tap and hold a POI and a context menu pops up with among other things, a web link. If the device has a connection and the POI has a web site, the app will use it to find additional info.

2. There are three color themes (for lack of a better term); regular, bright sunshine, and nighttime. All are easily switchable and work in 2D or 3D.

^Normal

^Bright sunlight

^Night

There is no appreciable performance hit between 2D and 3D views.

^2D

^3D

3. There are 3 English voices to choose from; Christopher (older dude with English accent), Sara (perky, grade school teacher type), and Todd (American used car salesman).

Sarah is the best, IMHO but she can get testy at times

5. All menus and text inputs are geared toward finger input with the exception of the initial settings screens.

B. Navigation

1. The map view scales based on vehicle speed at about 5 mph increments.

There are also 3 route modes; car, bicycle, and walking.

2. Three warnings for turns are usually given based on speed...

"In 1 mile, exit right"

"In 1/2 mile exit right"

and

"Exit right"

3. Additional direction is also added if necessary.

"In a half mile exit right then in 2 tenths of a mile merge left."

or

"After the next intersection, move to the right lane"

4. Rerouting is painless and happens in about 3 blinks of the eye once the decision is made by the app.
Going off the planned route will provoke "turn here" instructions if you missed a turn until that option is no longer physically available. Then you will hear "Try to make a U-turn". If you do not, this must prompt the app to re-calculate a whole new route if appropriate.

(The "U-turn" message seems to be at the point of no return.)

5. At any point in the route you can calculate detour directions around segments.

C. Other

There are 3 volume levels for voice volume (plus off).
Sarah seems to work well over the din of a moving auto. I imagine the English dude would be nice while walking. And, the staccato, used car salesman would be right for cycling.

Other apps including media players can run concurrently with no perceivable performance hit. Voice directions are heard over music tracks but do not pause play back or lower player volume.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-05-17 at 00:53.

Thanks for the review! What's the main difference between the modes? I would expect the driving mode to turn the map as you drive, while the walking mode would be north-fixed. Or?
Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Thanks for the review! What's the main difference between the modes? I would expect the driving mode to turn the map as you drive, while the walking mode would be north-fixed. Or?
Thanks in advance!

I don't know yet... I'm thinking it is the auto scale log used.

There is a menu accessible setting that toggles between "always north" and "direction" orientation.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-05-17 at 00:55.

What kind of GPS equipment is included? Is it SirfIII? I'm not sure if it's better to just order the software from Navicore directly-a little cheaper if one already has a holder and a GPS module

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
There is a menu accessible setting that toggles between "always north" and "direction" orientation.
That's good enough for me..
I'm thinking of getting this kit.
I'm also interested in the answer to flude99's question, as I own a (non-Sirf III) GPS unit already. If the Navicore's one is better then I'll get the full kit.

Thanks!