Active Topics

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
How can I create a desktop shortcut that will run a shell script?

The script, which runs a Java program, runs from the command line OK. (Actually, it's more than OK, it's absolutely brilliant as I didn't expect this software to run first time.)

I installed Cmd Shortcuts and tried that, but it creates an extra step that I don't want at the moment.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

I've never really done this but, you could probably try "the queen becon widget".

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
desktop command widget can also do that as well. Allowing the running of external scripts.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I don't think either does what I want.

My script runs a java program which opens a graphics window. I want a shortcut that runs this when I want it - Desktop Command Widget seems more for scripts that you want running frequently.

I installed the Queen Becon Widget, but when I clicked on it, it reported a Hildon error and then wiped all of my desktop widgets. I uninstalled it right away!
  • crossed fingers

That's strange, queen beecon works fine for me, no problems what so ever. Well if that doesn't work on your device, I would recommend what tuxsavvy said....

For the desktop execution widget you have to play around with the *settings* and Untick these options:

1) Update when switched to desktop
2) Update on Boot

Also disable the "update interval".

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by dormant View Post
I installed the Queen Becon Widget, but when I clicked on it, it reported a Hildon error and then wiped all of my desktop widgets. I uninstalled it right away!
Its not so alarming as you may think that all the widgets dissapeared...
-Widgets is handled in a very simple way by hildon, no multitasking, protection or anything.

But for a simple command on the desktop, then you could create a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon/ for your javaprogram.
-Either by hand, or with shortcut maker http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69809

Last edited by electroaudio; 2011-11-04 at 21:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
I thought Shortcut Maker was only for contacts and calls shortcuts, but reading that thread I see I was wrong.

I'll probably just do a .desktop file by hand.

Thanks muchly.
  • crossed fingers