Notices

Pacaq is a chess game visualizing and analysis tool with Qt based GUI. It can load PGN (Portable Game Notation) files and then show and animate recorded games move by move. Pacaq handles any recursive annotation variations recorded in the game file. Pacaq doesn't have a chess client, so it is only meant for viewing recorded chess games.

Pacaq was designed to work on Nokia Internet Tablet with Qt libraries installed from the Maemo Qt4 port. If you're interested in it, go ahead and visit pacaq homepage for more information or download the latest release from SourceForge.net download page. To install the program into the Nokia Internet Tablet running IT OS 2008 select the armel package from the download page and it'll be installed by the Application Manager. Also Linux and Windows versions of pacaq are available.

For those curious enough to try, I have attached to this message a zipped PGN file you can watch using pacaq - the famous Game of the Century.

Regards,
the pacaq team
Attached Files
File Type: zip game_of_the_century.zip (584 Bytes, 370 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacaq For This Useful Post:
Hi there, I would like to inform the pacaq team that a new chess project aiming for a finger-friendly UI has been launched, Miniature [1]. I can see that pacaq uses a similar approach as we imagined to maybe implement for our project: to use PGN as the primary backend. It'd be cool to hear from you over in our talk thread [2]!

[1] http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33764

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I tried installing this a few days ago but couldn't get whatever was needed for this together just right.

Mikhas, were you able to get this working correctly?

If so, mind sharing with us how you did it?

Thanks!

Oh, I didn't try it yet, just read the source (since that's what my main interest is =)). Perhaps trying to *compile* it is a good idea, indeed!

1. Inside of scratchbox, I went into the pacaq folder, ran qmake, then make.
2. Copied that whole pacaq folder to the device, as a tarball (to preserve permissions), moved it to /home/user.
3. Extracted tarball.
4. Copied one example PGN file to /tmp/, so that pacaq would find it.
5. Ran /home/user/pacaq/pacaq
6. Opened file from tmp folder
7. Moved a bit around, took screenshot.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
Hey mikhas!

I guess I have this installed since it shows up under Extras with an icon.

When running through Xterm, I get the following:
/usr/bin/pacaq: line 1: ELF****��4: not found
/usr/bin/pacaq: line 2: syntax error: "(" unexpected
~ $

I'm so stupid!!!!!!!!

Any help at all on this?

I think it's probably because I don't have all of the required QT packages.

I've been searching online on how to possibly get them installed but it's too much for me to understand for some reason.

And I was in such a good mood!

Edit:

Could someone give me the required dependencies for this because the .deb file installed without complaint.

Mikhas, am I to understand that I actually need to compile this for it to even work?

Sorry again for my newbie questions. I'm sure it can become tiring for some of you.

Last edited by Addison; 2009-11-12 at 22:20.

You still get the same error? Looks more like using the wrong pacaq binaries (that is, non-ARM). You have to cross-compile from the ARM target in your scratchbox to get working binaries for the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
I don't know how to compile.

Could you make available the /home/usr/pacaq folder that you compiled for download?

Many thanks if you do.

I heard back from the author on this.

Apparently the armel deb file was mistakenly packaged as an intel file instead.

Versions 0.1.0 works correctly though.

He said he would rebuild it when he has the time.

Honestly, his version is not that much to look at with almost no features included, but dang, those highlight arrows are super sexy! Especially when castling!

I wish that all chess programs had that kind of creative flair.

Tags
chess