Notices

Hey everyone, after my posting a thread here asking about buying an n900, I went ahead, very happy with it

However one application is missing. Is it possible at all to get Lilypond working on this device? (Preferably without a chroot)

Has anyone tried? What problems have been hit?

The Following User Says Thank You to Piece_Maker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I haven't heard of Lilypond ever before. I see Linux/GNU and FreeBSD versions on their website, but not debian packages. There is source available.
Since in Maemo repositories the latest version of ghostscript is 'Lenny', you can try Lenny-version of Lilypond from Debian: 2.10.33-2.3 for armel.
Report any problems you get.
Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply - In case you're interested, LilyPond is similar in use to the document Typesetter LaTeX, except it's primarily for music scores. It's a great piece of kit

I'll be trying the version you linked as soon as possible, thanks a lot!

The Following User Says Thank You to Piece_Maker For This Useful Post:
Just following up my last post - It seems Lilypond has far more dependencies than just Ghostscript, this will need a bit more work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piece_Maker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Piece_Maker View Post
Just following up my last post - It seems Lilypond has far more dependencies than just Ghostscript, this will need a bit more work!
That's too bad. It looks like some folks around here managed to install LaTeX, but some things also seemed to be problematic. The mere fact you can install LaTeX in a handheld computer is amazing anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Indeed and LaTeX is an amazing thing in itself

I'm also glad my favourite editor for both (Emacs) is available too!

I'll be seing about LilyPond a bit more this weekend, I haven't given up!

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Well, I 'installed' lilypond on N900. It segfaults. No surprise, I 'installed' lilypond and lilypond-data from Debian-Lenny, ignoring that libc6 on Maemo-5-Fremantle is out-of-date, and disregarding tex-dependencies because I am out of RootFS space.
I already uninstalled adobe-flashplayer. It's possible, though highly unlikely, that I will uninstall binutils and g++ from N900 in near future - it's mostly used for rare experiments. However, I would rather find out a way to optify them, and perl, too.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Big shame!

The texlive dependencies were my issue - Not their size, I just couldn't get them to actually install (Configure failure)

http://weblily.net/web/guest/home

This will tide me over for now I think :P It'll be nice to get it working natively at some point though!

Would love to have lilypond on N900 -- but building it from source on the device proved to be beyond my skill as well. Even when it did build with the correct confluence of guile, tex, and lilypond source versions, the PDF output was erraneous.

Just because it builds doesn't mean it works. But best of luck! And if all else fails you can always write Lilypond files in a text editor and live headless until you get to your workstation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:

Tags
lilypond, nokia n900