Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
I am wondering how these Android phones would compare
with CyanogenMod installed?

It's supposed to be faster...
And has Busybox etc.

( I need a rugged watertight phone, say IP67, and am considering
a Motorola Defy+ - preferably the jcb edition,
or something simple plus my Nokia - N810 or N900 / N9 - in a watertight case. )

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

1) You don't need Cyanogen on the Galaxy Nexus.
2) Hardware wise the NOTE is best, then Gnex, then Captivate Glide, then RAZR Maxx............then N9
3) Putting CM9, ICS or MIUI would make the NOTE superior to the Gnex, and having chroot Ubuntu is just for the N9 to make it JELLY
4) Its your money...if you make a bad purchase only you will experience the buyers remorse

Sorry to resurrect the thread, what did you end up going with?

I've been debating on getting a Gnex recently. Not sure if I want to give up my N9 completely though. The Note seems nice though, may be a bit too big for me for constant use. Have an ipad anyway for tablet needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWindEXE For This Useful Post:
Gotta say BlackwindEXE, I was about to create a similar topic myself. So thanks for bumping this mate, saves me from creating a duplicate topic.

I have been feeling the itch for a new phone for a while now but can't find anything else that comes close to the n900. I can't say that I'm too interested in android devices to be fair, I can dual boot the n900 and Touchpad already but still don't feel any desire use it outside of the odd game. Granted now the droids have ubuntu running stable the SGN does look more appealing (thanks to screen size).

Now being a Maemo fan and following the progress of meego over the last 2 years I'm inclined towards the N9. The only issues for me is the reliability of suppliers to the UK (Handtec & ebay), and this Microsim malarky as I will still want to use my n900.

And the N900 is still an issue, its a superphone, fully customisable and still runs rings around many of todays handsets. Looks like I will be sticking with maemo5 for another year yet, maybe the meltemi handsets could bring something new?

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Gotta say BlackwindEXE, I was about to create a similar topic myself. So thanks for bumping this mate, saves me from creating a duplicate topic.

I have been feeling the itch for a new phone for a while now but can't find anything else that comes close to the n900. I can't say that I'm too interested in android devices to be fair, I can dual boot the n900 and Touchpad already but still don't feel any desire use it outside of the odd game. Granted now the droids have ubuntu running stable the SGN does look more appealing (thanks to screen size).

Now being a Maemo fan and following the progress of meego over the last 2 years I'm inclined towards the N9. The only issues for me is the reliability of suppliers to the UK (Handtec & ebay), and this Microsim malarky as I will still want to use my n900.

And the N900 is still an issue, its a superphone, fully customisable and still runs rings around many of todays handsets. Looks like I will be sticking with maemo5 for another year yet, maybe the meltemi handsets could bring something new?
Meltemi....sure, if you don't mind using ARM11 (ancient) architecture on 320 x 240 screens.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
ive got n9 used on mint condition in a half price,

actually its never been used, with reasonable price N9 is a must,

I got the Gnex a week or so ago. So far I am very happy with the phone, the only thing I don't like is the pentile screen, which sucks for small text. It is quite good for images, video, and 'normal' sized text. But probably I would have preferred an LCD instead. Oh, and the speakers suck, if you watch movies you kind of need headphones. And the Skype video also sucks, the Galaxy Player provides better Skype video.

Other than that, it's a beautiful device. Very light, very pocketable, good battery life, quite adequate for videos, 1080p video, decent 5mp camera (better than the N900). There are two reasons why I got it: 5 band 3G (so it works everywhere in the world, including AWS for T-mobile), and big screen.

The Note is a great device, but it's way too big to use comfortably as a phone, and you will notice it in your pocket. And it doesn't work with the AWS band.

If you're supremely impressed with the N900 and have certain needs for it, the N9 may disappoint you. I loved my N900, still love my N9, but after using it for a month (which is my normal phone-use time-frame haha), I can say I want more. Not so much in apps since I'm not a heavy app user, but more in speed. I'm already running into lag and have to clear my cache multiple times a day. it's annoying when receiving texts becomes slow, or browsing the web. I don't really want to give up my N9. I'd like to keep it since I waited forever to get one, and may keep it in addition to something else. I still love swipe UI and multitasking

The GNex and GNote are appealing to me but I would most likely end up with the GNex simply because it is cheaper and I already have an ipad3 for tablet purposes. And I need my ipad for iOS development since I don't really want to go back to an iphone (screen is too small... and even so, the N9 screen is feeling pretty small now too). Though the note looks way better and obviously has better hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWindEXE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
The only issues for me is... ... this Microsim malarky as I will still want to use my n900.
Have a look at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007021467...84.m1439.l2649

I had the same dilemma with still wanting to use my E7 and N9 but got 3 of these adapters and they work fine with the mSIM in the E7

The Following User Says Thank You to dumpystig For This Useful Post: