Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
how are you supposed to txt hands free?
You are not. Even talking with a hands free is detrimental to people's driving, but at least you have both hands at the wheel.

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
*sorry it was meant to be funny...
Oh, ok. But with all the Nokia is "promoting dangerous one hand use by enabling portrait mode"-stuff in that other thread i thought you were serious.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
how are you supposed to txt hands free?
Not hands free. You steer with your elbows and the camera of an N900 is used to display the road behind a semitransparent text you're composing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
RevdKathy, from what i have done using my device, the way it works is (at least for any installed applications, not had a firmware alert yet -
in the "indicator area" (the bit at the top of the screen with the clock etc) you see a little yellow/orange box with an exclamation mark.

You tap the clock, that pops-up a dialog-box, that shows what has an update.

you then choose to do the update, and it is then virtually the same as installing an app i.e. you check the box, click ok and watch a couple of progress bars, then see the message "1 application installed succesfully".

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
*sorry it was meant to be funny...
Don't fret, it was funny.
You can't always allow for folk without a sarcasm radar.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
You are not. Even talking with a hands free is detrimental to people's driving, but at least you have both hands at the wheel.

Oh, ok. But with all the Nokia is "promoting dangerous one hand use by enabling portrait mode"-stuff in that other thread i thought you were serious.
Um, one post by me about pending law suits and a possible tombstone mentality that arises and it was turned into Nokia promoting something.

My actual belief is that the more functions you provide some people the more they will use them at inappropriate times. Not just people texting while driving, there will be people looking up stock symbols, betting odds, recipe ingredients, song lyrics... you freakin' name it.

Now I said some people and not all people. Some people will use common sense.
However, more and more people these days seem to be clueless to the unintended consequences of their actions. That is all.

On a side, side note: I remember when I was a kid hearing the story about how some dude who was killed in a motor vehicle accident while riding his motorcycle to work one morning... There was milk and bits of cereal found on what was left of him and his bike. A few hundred feet back down the road they found a bowl and a spoon that matched the dishware at his house. Go figure.

So it's not a problem of having mobile features, but a problem of stupid people.

Like I said, reading a folded newspaper has the same hazardous effects as having a smartphone with a lot of features.

Should we stop using scissors because you can run around with them. What are we, a society of glue-eaters?

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by jethro.itt View Post
Not hands free. You steer with your elbows and the camera of an N900 is used to display the road behind a semitransparent text you're composing.
The frightening thing is people do things like this. I have heard of people steering with their legs so they have both hands free. They would be seriously screwed (and anyone nearby likely) if they had to make an emergency stop.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
So it's not a problem of having mobile features, but a problem of stupid people.

Like I said, reading a folded newspaper has the same hazardous effects as having a smartphone with a lot of features.

Should we stop using scissors because you can run around with them. What are we, a society of glue-eaters?

The point I was trying to set up then, and can hopefully make now is:

With Maemo we are given a device that with a little knowledge, a little skill, and maybe a little help from the community we can make do whatever we want (within the capabilities of the hardware and the limitations of some drivers). We have seen it with the 770, N800, & N810 before. Anybody new to the forum need only look at the "Downloads" section and see that with the Diablo release there are at least 482 different things that the device didn't do out of the box but the community made happen anyway.

I'm sure someone can hold a baby in their arms, cut hair, drive a car, clean teeth, or eat a dang cheese samich with one hand while texting their vote for "Dancing with the Stars", programming the space shuttle, or ordering Kung Pow chicken on their N900 with the other. Some are pro'ly better at doing all those things simultaneously than I am doing just one thing. Who am I to judge?

I don’t have a problem with glue eaters or even those who want to rub pot roast all over their chest... I just feel a lot better if they had a little knowledge, a little skill, and maybe a little help from the community first.