Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Wait, what? Yes, we do know the details. We know that it's a non-exclusive deal, read: the OEM WinPhone will ship without Nokia services. Meaning that Microsoft can choose to use another services provider (HTC, Samsung, Microsoft itself) whenever it chooses.
As far as I know nokia will contribute to the ecosystem, so their services (whatever they are, maps-related stuff for sure), will be used by all wp7 oems.

On a nokia phones they may be branded differently (e.g. nokia maps instead of bing maps).

I guess meego will be developed further to have an alternative OS, for the time when apps are not OS-specific anymore, and things happen in the cloud, or whatever.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-02-13 at 19:29.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
No, it's a move to a Nokia that's just experienced a hostile takeover by Microsoft.
It's like a vampire in this case. They didn't enter until invited. Don't forget that.

Come on, people, I feel dump just discussing this.
Dumb or dump? Because if it's the latter, that's just sick. Ew.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Lots of backtracking today. I'm sure they did not anticipate the amount of loyal Symbian fans out there. Someone also forgot to tell the boss that you cant run WP on low end hardware, and that there wont be a WP device until 2012. So what are they going to do for 10 Months.

So Symbian seems to have a slightly longer term life, but will be phased out, this is NOT news. It was the case before Friday, but everyone had bought into the Qt migration. Light bulb has come on with Elop, so Qt gets a stay of execution, and teases support of s40.

"We still believe it is important to launch the MeeGo device b/c it contains a series of new exciting technologies".

If Elop was bright about this, he should have dropped S40, push S3 into the lowend now, and disrupt that end of the market, gives good reason for Qt to be strategic, and allows Nokia breathing room to sort Meego, while he is earning a crust with WP7.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
But if Nokia provides key services to the wp7 ecosystem MS cannot easily get rid of them.
Microsoft can always work in the background on their own implementation of the services they will be temporarily borrowing from Nokia, and then they can just silently push out Nokia without endangering their portfolio. It wouldn't be the first time in Microsoft's history, one can actually say it's their most well known pattern... The only service they'd have a bit trouble replacing would be Maps given Nokia's ownership of Navteq. But then, it's not as if Navteq is the only game in town...

I still fail to see what Nokia gets out of this that is enough important to risk alienating their loyal customers, at least two years of severely lower profits, giving up on the middle portion of their portfolio (WP7 ain't gonna work on 250€ HW, profits included), axing the most used smartphone platform in the world by a large margin, axing arguably the best crossplatform development toolkit from the mobile space, killing of the Ovi service just as it was finally starting to gain some momentum, and essentially putting all their eggs in one basket... All that for a platform with abysmal market share and user interest, severely limited and completely controlled by Microsoft.

Whether WP7 succeeds or not, Microsoft won't suffer, they have a LOT of other sources of revenue and they can always muscle themselves back in the mobile market - they've been doing that for the past decade after destroying one by one mobile-oriented company. However, Nokia risks here a lot, by the time WP7's failure can be perceived they will be blown out of the mobile space and the best they will be able to hope for is the fate of Motorola, with no real platform or viable strategy as a backup. Even if the WP7 endeavor miraculously succeeds, Nokia will be having hard time to push enough devices to the market competing at the same thing with much cheaper manufacturers.

But ok, it's their choice, I guess... I won't be trying to save a company from itself. I'm just concerned what will we (the consumers/developers) be left with in the mobile space governed by a threesome consisting of a glorified virtual machine, walled garden and a flashy feature phone platform - all three of each striving their best to tie you into their individual isles and trying to control how would you use a device you've bought. So far, it doesn't look good...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

Honestly I still think Symbian/Meego/Qt and OVI services would have been the better option, but I can at least see a logic behind the decision.
One thing we also don't know is how much Nokia will pay license to Micorsoft per Wp7 phone. Big discount on license fees + the possibility to add these services to WP7 might just make the deal more understandable from a purely corporate greed point of view.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
If Elop was bright about this, he should have dropped S40, push S3 into the lowend now, and disrupt that end of the market, gives good reason for Qt to be strategic, and allows Nokia breathing room to sort Meego, while he is earning a crust with WP7.
Except for the fact that S3 will never work on S40 hardware. Smartphones isn't everything, and there are ecosystems building on the S40 platform. S40 sold more than 300 million devices last year.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Just reading the engadget live-ticker of the nokia event.

From a business perspective this cooperation makes more sense to me now. Essentially Nokia wants money, money from advertising, similar to google. Nokia will provide location-based services (and others?) which will be used by all OEMs. So Nokia is part of a much bigger ecosystem than it could provide itself.

The target is clearly google, more so than apple.
Lol then I hope they fail like hell.

LOOSERS

@zwer

I agree, I don't trust MS either. Maps, Operator billing and Music stuff (on global scale) may come from Nokia. But as you said, MS will not hesitate to do it themselves if wp7 is established.

Nokia only has a chance if they can easily switch the OS, which is doubtful even with HTML5.

So yeah, with Microsofts history in mind I would not have made that deal.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Except for the fact that S3 will never work on S40 hardware. Smartphones isn't everything, and there are ecosystems building on the S40 platform. S40 sold more than 300 million devices last year.
Agreed, but given how fast the high end is moving, the low end will be more than able to handle S3 type hardware inside a year.

Right now the C6-01 reaches down to £200 pays as you go. The X3 is about £120. They need to start pushing down now, not in 10 months time............but S40 will stay and S3 gets dumped so this discussion is academic.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Microsoft can always work in the background on their own implementation of the services they will be temporarily borrowing from Nokia, and then they can just silently push out Nokia without endangering their portfolio. It wouldn't be the first time in Microsoft's history, one can actually say it's their most well known pattern... The only service they'd have a bit trouble replacing would be Maps given Nokia's ownership of Navteq. But then, it's not as if Navteq is the only game in town...

I still fail to see what Nokia gets out of this that is enough important to risk alienating their loyal customers, at least two years of severely lower profits, giving up on the middle portion of their portfolio (WP7 ain't gonna work on 250€ HW, profits included), axing the most used smartphone platform in the world by a large margin, axing arguably the best crossplatform development toolkit from the mobile space, killing of the Ovi service just as it was finally starting to gain some momentum, and essentially putting all their eggs in one basket... All that for a platform with abysmal market share and user interest, severely limited and completely controlled by Microsoft.

Whether WP7 succeeds or not, Microsoft won't suffer, they have a LOT of other sources of revenue and they can always muscle themselves back in the mobile market - they've been doing that for the past decade after destroying one by one mobile-oriented company. However, Nokia risks here a lot, by the time WP7's failure can be perceived they will be blown out of the mobile space and the best they will be able to hope for is the fate of Motorola, with no real platform or viable strategy as a backup. Even if the WP7 endeavor miraculously succeeds, Nokia will be having hard time to push enough devices to the market competing at the same thing with much cheaper manufacturers.

But ok, it's their choice, I guess... I won't be trying to save a company from itself. I'm just concerned what will we (the consumers/developers) be left with in the mobile space governed by a threesome consisting of a glorified virtual machine, walled garden and a flashy feature phone platform - all three of each striving their best to tie you into their individual isles and trying to control how would you use a device you've bought. So far, it doesn't look good...
Relax. Nokia may very well fail miserably with this and destroy their smartphone business for years, but they will not die. Without MS they certainly would be dead. But look at the reality here. Symbian is open source, MeeGo is open source, Qt is open source. ZTE is looking for something on their own, and MeeGo, Symbian and Qt is just lying there. Soon we will see MeeGo devices from ZTE.