Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Thanks for all your comments, I'll try to put it in Brainstorm as soon as I figure out how...
OK, I finally managed to add it.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ges_im_status/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
I wonder if it would be possible to have a Profile Scheduler wich automatically changes IM Status. What I have in mind would be an application that would either change the Profile according weekly schedule or, even better, would look for key words (like: meeting) from the Calendar (or a combination of the two ). Additionally it would also change your availability status if this is not done yet in Profiles.

Actually, now that I think of it, one should be able to change your IM status of the profile. For example, it would make sense to have it "Busy" or "Unavailable" in the "Silent" Profile... Well, that is what I think. I could be wrong...

Anyway, does anyone think this would be good?

Thanks
I love the idea. But I mostly keep my phone in silent mode, as I don't like my phone sounding off, too often. But I do like the idea of looking in my calendar and looking for, maybe, a busy hour? Or busy activity (rather than marking one as free, or personal) and having it change to silent.

But I don't condone just silent mode = busy.

I'm copying the comments from the Brainstorm page as I think they'll attract more conversation here...

Sascha Makela: I agree. A combination of 1 and 3 would be the best. Having an extra field in the calendar is a much better idea than mine with keywords. But instead of setting the IM status and the Profile separately, I believe it would be easier if one would only define the desired Profile. The IM status would be set in the Profile it self. However, in this case it would be best if there would be the ability to have an unlimited amount of Profiles that can be added and named by the user.
I think that to offer the user maximum flexibility you need to let Calendar set overide profile IM status settings. There are people who may not wish to change their IM status every time they change profile, but this would still let them set status for chosen Calendar events. Thinking about it further, I assume there is a built in Clock type app which handles alarms a la S60? In which case, each alarm should also be able to change the profile and the IM status.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
I love the idea. But I mostly keep my phone in silent mode, as I don't like my phone sounding off, too often. But I do like the idea of looking in my calendar and looking for, maybe, a busy hour? Or busy activity (rather than marking one as free, or personal) and having it change to silent.

But I don't condone just silent mode = busy.
Having an extra field in Calendar where you could choose the Profile which has the desired IM status, should do it. For example you could have two silent Profiles like "Silent Busy" and "Silent Unavailable", or something like that.

Please vote (or add) on the preferred solution in Brainstorm:

Thanks

Last edited by Sasler; 2009-10-07 at 07:58.

Having an extra field in Calendar where you could choose the Profile which has the desired IM status, should do it. For example you could have two silent Profiles like "Silent Busy" and "Silent Unavailable", or something like that.
Aye, but they may not want to; it is quite possible that this would lead to an unwieldy number of profiles for all conceivable occassions, whereas letting Calendar over-ride the profile allows for one-off combinations easily.

Please vote (or add) on the preferred solution in Brainstorm:

Thanks
Wilco.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Aye, but they may not want to; it is quite possible that this would lead to an unwieldy number of profiles for all conceivable occassions, whereas letting Calendar over-ride the profile allows for one-off combinations easily.
So what about having another field in Calendar to override the IM status of the profile if so desired? Leaving it empty would use the IM status of the Profile.

Or there could be a simple true/false field to determine if the IM status of the Profile should be used... Hmm... This is becoming much more complicated than I initially thought.

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
OK. Sorry. You had almost the same things as a solution in Brainstorm than my previous post.

BTW, I really like the idea of having the same options in the Clock/Alarm app. This would make it much more flexible.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, I have moved http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ges_im_status/ tentatively to the Sandbox again.

What is the problem thas is being tried to be solved here? The proposal jumps to solutions and implementation details since the beginning, but the problem is assumed. I *think* I know what is the problem you want to solve but in order tofind the best solutions it is better to avoid assumptions since the beginning.

Please edit the initial proposal so the currnet problem is clear. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hi, I have moved http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ges_im_status/ tentatively to the Sandbox again.

What is the problem thas is being tried to be solved here? The proposal jumps to solutions and implementation details since the beginning, but the problem is assumed. I *think* I know what is the problem you want to solve but in order tofind the best solutions it is better to avoid assumptions since the beginning.

OK. I'll try to edit that.

Thanks

Originally Posted by qgil View Post

OK, I did edit this:

Is it better now?