Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bethlehem Pa
I picked up my N900 on Thursday and it was quite nice, but it kept cycling thru to the Nokia screen if I was doing something. It wasn't constant but happened a few times during each maybe 15-20 min session of playing with it. Well then last night I finally got time to add contacts and emails, and setup FB and other things and then I hooked the unit up to my Windows Vista computer and it kept going thru the DOTS loading mode on the screen (the screen that comes up after Nokia logo) well 30mins later it still was going and the thing would not show up on the pc and would not shut off. SO i took the battery out, then put it back in after I disconnected it from PC. Well then it got stuck on a DOT on the loading screen and never loaded up after that, many battery in and outs later i Gacve up and left it on the charger all night. Well woke up this morning and it was a brick, it would not even turn on, light up, do anything at all. I called tech support and the guy told me I was the first call they got about N900 problems, he said congradulations out of under maybe a possible 2000 people that had the phone I won the first brick. LOL. Well I called the NYC store and told them the tech said to get a replacement thhru them, but they were out and said it would be days before one arrives so they took my name and number. Luckily a few hours later a female called back from the store and said someone canceled their order and I could come get that one . SO I got a new one again, and I hope I have no problems. When it was working, I was so happy with the unit, it was a shame I got to be #1 owner with a dead one.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Yes but N900 is capable of simulating 12 bricks simultaneously without slowdown, in Flash!

Seriously - thanks for buying the brick, so that we don't have to (cross fingers)

The Following User Says Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Interesting. Had you installed any software before the problems happened? Any sudden unplug from your PC while transferring files or something? Just wondering.

Also, have you tried flashing the device before returning the unit? This is probably what the Nokia Care guys will do unless your device has a hardware defect. http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
It was never even seen by the PC, it just kept going thru the loading screen (dots going by) and never showed up as a device in Windows. Also never flashed it, once it did not power up the tech said forget about even bothering with it, only if it can at least try to power on would he suggest trying other options.It was having problems before I installed anything, basically i installed FB app, Forecaweather, and added contacts and email stuff. And it was working fine after all those for like an hour.

Bummer about the brick - LUCKY BASTARD

Grats on getting the replacement so quickly
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Wait..... someone canceled their order to physically pickup an N900 at the NY store?!? Who on earth at this point would do such a thing?

pretty weird that happened as you already answered qgil about what apps you had installed, wonder what made it do that???
either you got an one in millionth unit that was bad or did you miss something to type that you had installed. did you download anything from the extras?

Last edited by somedude; 2009-11-24 at 04:36.

Yeah they had even payed for it, they had the old receipt in the drawer, so who knows. Maybe someone far from the city that got an email about a pre-ordered one or something.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Wait..... someone canceled their order to physically pickup an N900 at the NY store?!? Who on earth at this point would do such a thing?
Yeah, surely they would pick it up and sell it on eBay for twice its value!

What are the extras?