Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Qnotted is a Knot Helper application written in Qt with full portrait support.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Qnotted

As always, feedback and bug reports welcome.
Attached Images

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2013-12-15 at 20:57.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Er, I took a bite in the rope and hurt my teeth.....

Actually knot, but wots a bight?

Not yet in repos but the point is if definitions are provided?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Yes, definitions are provided.
Having autobuilder upload trouble at the moment you'll have to be patient before biting anything :P

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Yes, definitions are provided.
Having autobuilder upload trouble at the moment you'll have to be patient before biting anything :P
Will do. Love the idea. Animated gifs would be..... stunning (but a lot of work :-( )

Thanks to merlin1991 for fixing my issue, Qnotted 0.0.1 is in Extras Devel.
I am currently working on 0.0.2, soon to be released.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=72

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Now available in Extras-Devel
Code:
* Add Lashings
* Change some knot images and instructions
* Rescale images to decrease file size
Enjoy

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Anyone get tied up or bite anything yet?
Pushed up to Extras-Testing please QA.
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...qnotted/0.0.2/

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Anyone get tied up or bite anything yet?
Am having a look and trying out instructions etc, as time allows (tied up with kids ya know: ).

Of course I've totally missed annoucement for this really helpful program (thank you, Jolla spam!). Thankfuly, it is uploaded to extras-* - not stuck as link in the forum thread - so I was able to discover it via browsing repos.

Now, here first suggestion comes, and a little story. I've "discovered" qnotted for the first time accidentaly, while browsing repos for packages that I wanted to reinstall, following a list of files that got damaged during filesystem collapse (log of fsck). Obviously, I wasn't in position to check new things then, working to bring my system into undamaged state. I just remembered keyword "knot", to check later.

Now, the next day, I tried to find the application, using "knot(s)", searching *both* in the application names *and* in the description (short description, to be precise). No luck. I tried it few times during span of a month, with different "knot"-related keywords, without any joy - actually, I become sure that seeing this in repos didn't happen and I dreamed it ( really, no joke ).

Now, I've re-found this "bugger", thanks to update, placing it near the top of "last packages imported". Of course, I've checked why the hell "knot" wasn't giving me any results. "Blah, Qnotted as a name" - well, I took the bullet, Qnotted is really good idea for a name, and it was my fault for not remembering it. "But, wait, I've searched descriptions too! What the hell, short description is a repeated "qnotted" again, damnit?"

So, concluding the story and into my suggestion - it might be worthwile to update the short description section of package to be a little more informative, as it is used by all repos searching methods. Someone who just got idea to look for a knotting helper application, will likely search for "knot" or "knots", and get nothing, if using HAM or FAM (or base apt-cache search - looking through long description require specifing it manually, is rarely used and prone to spamming with misleading results). Heck, you even have a real life example of one old fart user *actively* searching for *this* program, and failing through a month's time.
---

Now, as for program itself - huge thank you - nifty and very useful.

Bug: If you cycle quickly switch between different knot types and knots, application will "clone" itself:

I can't find a direct step-by-step way to reproduce this, but if you spend a solid 5 seconds "jumping" between knot types *and* knots, you're guaranteed to hit it.

Suggestion: As handaxe said, animated gifs would be wonderful. But, if they're not possible, a static photographs of knots forming a step-by-step illustration to written instructions could be as much useful, if not more. Currently, there are 2 "steps" at most, likely showing final form before and after dressing. Or views of final knot from 2 sides.

While most knots can be "reverse-engineered" by looking at currently provided pictures (then, one can try to learn knoting them properly via written instructions - opposite order will fail, most likely), there are some of them, that cause my brain to... knot itself Photographs with more intermediate steps would surely help a lot.

Cheers,
/Estel

// Edit

I forget mandatory - while not exactly correct, absolutely unavoidable - applaud, that should be opening my post:

Yay! Bondage app for Maemo!

You have seen that one coming, haven't you?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-01-28 at 19:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Firstly thank for your informative post, I was starting to think it was tumbleweed-ware.

It seems the second line in the control file is not searchable in HAM. Thank you for spotting this, it is helpful if you can find the application in the first place.
Also it seems the icon image is very dark causing it to look like a black square, can anyone confirm this?

As for the window spawn bug, I had thought I had fixed this by making the pushButton's "pressed()" instead of "clicked()" and reducing the image sizes but alas not. I will look into it but I am not certain of a solution.
It seems that the image takes so long to load you have time to press the pushButton again and spawn another non-stacked window.

Obviously animated knots would be ideal, however, it would take a fair amount of time and effort to do this. I would also have to borrow the materials (ropes, paracord, poles, camera, tripod) used to make the images again, from the multiple sources I acquired them.

Images at multiple stages wasn't done in the first place to keep the application light. Also this was created from the pictures in another RL project I did.
I spent a lot of time wording the instructions as carefully as possible so they could be done from looking at the final picture alone.

Can you point me to some of the knots you are having a hard time with?

All the knots in Qnotted are important and should be learned IMO. What you use them for is at your discretion.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: