Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
It's a device that Nokia will deliver in a 9" convertible tablet format, running Maemo... right?

RIGHT!? :-)
Or windows 7 (Windows 8 in 2011) or desktop Kubuntu jaunty ?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Let me remind you what we have said about Maemo 5: Maemo 5 will support OMAP3 processors i.e. ARM Cortex A8 technology, not more, not less.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Bloomberg have some news about this subject... Just seem that they are confusing/mixing things big time (netbooks and mobile phones).
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aT2JAVfemoxI

I can not see any time soon when Intel has anything that can be used in mobile phones? (At least Atom can't...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gijon
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let me remind you what we have said about Maemo 5: Maemo 5 will support OMAP3 processors i.e. ARM Cortex A8 technology, not more, not less.
So let's hope that none on Nokia announce an Intel based tablet for 2010/2011, because it could seem than currently Maemo 5 platform has been born dead:
  • Maemo 5 is the previous step to Hartmatan, the long awaited QT based software platform. So, why develop for it if it will be replaced for a marvellous stack that maybe (and just "maybe") couldn't work on nowadays hardware?
  • Intel could be next NIT processor? So what's wrong with OMAP3?

Ok, ok, I am sure that this is not the stage that Nokia marketing has in mind, but some people could have this feeling.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsmanrique For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsmanrique View Post
... because it could seem than currently Maemo 5 platform has been born dead:...
Are we in a bit negative mood today? ;-)

Maemo 5 is a crucial step in the evolution of Maemo to a mainstream software platform. The evolution of Maemo will not stop with Maemo 5 as you indicated but continue with Harmattan and then with some release starting with an "I".

PS: Pure coincidence that the release following Harmattan starts with "I". Has nothing to do with Intel. I didn't make the Latin alphabet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by jsmanrique View Post
[*]Maemo 5 is the previous step to Hartmatan, the long awaited QT based software platform. So, why develop for it if it will be replaced for a marvellous stack that maybe (and just "maybe") couldn't work on nowadays hardware?
isn't that exactly what is being said about maemo5 in general?
if anything, I see the qt stack as being able to run on n8x0 hardware better than I see clutter doing the same.

it may well be that a generational gap occurs but then n8x0 comes back into the fold when qt harmattan arrives

mind you, by that time I will be happily running liqbase on anything resembling a cpu (and xv graphics), so what do i care

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gijon
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
PS: Pure coincidence that the release following Harmattan starts with "I". Has nothing to do with Intel. I didn't make the Latin alphabet.
Of course, of course... so who has missed the "g" between Fremantle and Harmattan? Perhaps a QT based software stack named with "G.." would be very strange

And no, I am not negative, I am trying to show something that seems to be in the air: too much marketing around QT and not around Maemo 5...

And here is the press release:

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1324456

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...pri_20090623rb

Last edited by Peter@Maemo Marketing; 2009-06-23 at 15:06.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
Ouch. x86 sucks. Hopefully some other company can provide us with the next generation of handhelds (SmartQ with a keyboard??)...

In regards to open source collaboration what does the Intel/Nokia announcement mean:
------------
Open Source Software Collaboration

The effort also includes technology development and cooperation in several open source software initiatives in order to develop common technologies for use in the Moblin and Maemo platform projects, which will deliver Linux-based operating systems for these future mobile computing devices.

The companies are coordinating their Open Source technology selection and development investments, including alignment on a range of key Open Source technologies for Mobile Computing such as: oFono*, ConnMan*, Mozilla*, X.Org*, BlueZ*, D-BUS*, Tracker*, GStreamer*, PulseAudio*.

----------------------------------
In clear text, more commitment to relevant projects for Maemo.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post: