Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I'm sorry you feel that way Arie. I have processed your $0.00 refund, but there is a refund fee of 50 cents so now you owe me 50 cents.
I figured out how to read the temperature from the CPU directly, it's not exactly easy. Maybe I can do it but no guarantees. It looks like the max temperature is over 100 degrees (celsius), somewhere in the 125 - 160 degree range.

13.4.6.2 Temperature Sensor
The temperature sensor feature is used to convert the temperature of the device into a decimal value
coded on 7 bits. An internal ADC (realized with a resistor array) is used for conversion. The recommended
operating temperatures must be from –40 to 125°C for standard conversion, and can go up to 160°C
when using the thermal shutdown comparator output (TSHUT signal). This signal indicates a too high
temperature of the device. This signal is internally connected to a general purpose input/output (GPIO)
pin. See Chapter 25, General-Purpose Interface, for more information.
The temperature sensor offers two operating modes: a single conversion mode and a continuous
conversion mode.
That's the non-technical part.
13.4.6.2.1 Single Conversion Mode (CONTCONV = 0)
When the ADC is idle (EOCZ = 0), it is possible to ask for a single temperature conversion. To initiate a
new conversion, the start of conversion (SOC) signal must be asserted and maintained high until the end
of conversion (EOCZ) signal goes high, after which the SOC must be made low by writing 0 to the
CONTROL.CONTROL_TEMP_SENSOR[9] SOC bit. Conversion completion is indicated by a negative
edge on EOCZ (CONTROL.CONTROL_TEMP_SENSOR[8] EOCZ bit).
There's a nice diagram showing how many cycles to wait...
Problem is I don't have the correct documentation for our OMAP 3630 so I am not sure if the memory address of the temp sensor in our kernel is correct. Worth a shot, I guess.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-05-03 at 22:54.

Originally Posted by ssjmec View Post
I have a question, when I am not using the UI opptimizer, I can get up to 1.3Ghz with no provided voltage (thus, as I remember, will automatically voltage up to 13750000? correct me if im wrong) nonetheless, without touching voltage and sr before I do not get instant reboot. But with the UI, setting it to 1.3Ghz and not touching voltage and sr instantly freezes my phone plus a reboot. Why?
The GUI doesn't automatically boost the voltage (and I'm not sure the current version of the modules does either) - dial it into the voltage you want and set it to that.

Note that you should make sure to set the voltage to the absolute lowest stable value for the clock speed you want. High voltages cause electromigration in the chip (= shorter device lifetime), high heat output (= overly toasty phone), and high power consumption (= low battery life). You'll need to incrementally lower the voltage and run a stress test until it starts crashing, at which point it should be raised to the last stable value.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
noob question:

I installed inception. I activated inception. I download both the kernel and the 2nd link for the overclocking.

My question is: how do I use inception to allow me to use the overclocking? I opened the overclocking app and when i check to show raw output, it shows no file or direction. what to do?

i am so close i can almost taste it...

haha your name is interesting...
if you installed inception properly, you ran the pasiv command already
now install those .deb files properly like it says in the first post.
Install in this order!
(change to the directory you saved the files)
/usr/sbin/incept opptimizer_1.5.3_armel.deb
/usr/sbin/incept opptimizer-ui_1.0.1_armel.deb

what's the problem?

btw, check this out, the thing to read the temperature from the cpu is already on the phone:
opensh
modprobe omap34xx_temp
cat /sys/devices/platform/omap34xx_temp/temp1_input
Doesn't work very good though. It seems to stop working after a few times for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
hey Creamy Goodness,

Couple of questions:

1. I believe I did the pasiv command already..do i need to run this everytime i need to incept something or restart the phone?

2. I think the issue is i do not know where I download the the 2 overclocking files to. Is there a way to find out? I use filebox and when i go to the usr -> sbin, i do not see the 2 files.

Thanks!

1) no, some people forget that and it won't work for them, I am just making sure you didn't forget
2) i suggest copy the files to /home/user/MyDocs, this is the folder that becomes mounted if you connect the computer to your phone with usb mass storage. That way you don't have to use the phone to download them.
Whatever folder doesn't matter, just change to the folder before trying to run the next commands. /usr/sbin/incept is the command you are running, the name of the debian file is telling it what to install.

i copied both files to the documents folder. i tried to copy the folder into the "bin" folder and the phone said i do not have permission to proceed. (all within filebox app).

this is what i have on my phone and the steps im doing it:

1. I already got my phone activated for inception
2. I have both overlock file and the UI file in "My documents" folder within my phone
3. I cannot copy the files to anywhere else within the phone
4. When I open terminal to type command, I type, /usr/sbin/incept
5. Then it asks me what file to incept
6. I then type, opptimizer_1.5.2_armel.deb
7. Then it says not Not Found

what might be the issue?

*btw, i know im a total noob and i apologize in advance for asking probably the dumbest question. And thanks for your time

type cd /home/user/MyDocs first
then /usr/sbin/incept filename.deb all on one line

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post: