Code:
wmhints->flags =
... should have been a
Code:
wmhints->flags |=
... .

The Following User Says Thank You to marnanel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Wow. I should've google'd harder. It is a SDL bug, and it was already filed in 2008!

http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=586

*sigh*

Thanks marnanel for the hints (and keywords to search!)!

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-09-16 at 18:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Wow. I should've google'd harder. It is a SDL bug, and it was already filed in 2008!
Think we should file a Maemo bug to get it fixed downstream if they won't get on with fixing it upstream? It seems a pretty easy bug to run into.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Yeah, or probably document it in the wiki (with all the other Maemo SDL "nuisances" ).

Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Whooa! Exile on the n900, that would be so cool!
Well, since you asked:

And the obligatory Elite:

I don't think I'll play with this much more, though, because:
  1. Beebem is not to my knowledge free-as-in-speech software, only free-as-in-beer, and I don't know of another good Beeb emulator for *nix;
  2. Even if Beebem was free software, it's still unclear about the legality of distributing the Beeb's MOS and BASIC roms, without which the emulator would be useless;
  3. Beebem updates the screen for every scanline, which causes it to be very slow on modern computers (on my laptop as well as the N900): slower than a real BBC Micro, in fact. This could be fixed by doing things with OpenGL, but that's not really my area;
  4. I have a whole lot of other things to do

Still, it's nice to have demonstrated that it's possible.

Last edited by marnanel; 2009-09-17 at 16:14. Reason: fix reason it's slow

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
I'd love to have some version of ARM RISC OS
(originally on the Acorn Archimedes 12 MHz ARM)
on my NIT.

But I suppose it takes to much work ?

---just a thought.

Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
I'd love to have some version of ARM RISC OS
(originally on the Acorn Archimedes 12 MHz ARM)
on my NIT.

But I suppose it takes to much work ?

---just a thought.
I don't know-- do you know of any good Archimedes emulators for *nix that could be ported? I never used one myself (despite having grown up with the BBC Micro), so I don't know much about it.

Last edited by marnanel; 2009-09-17 at 16:16. Reason: reversed order of sentence to make it sensible

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i see this app is on fremantle.

what other input focus bugs are you seeing.
because when i started with liqbase on n900 every keypress would result in other apps being opened and getting input keystrokes.

i could not enter any text for a while.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i will just explain the noticed bug and fix that was made

using fremantle,
when i started to run liqbase, i discovered that pressing any key in my app would mysteriously open up one of the search apps.
this was not what was wanted and meant i could not enter any text in liqbase for a while.

on the n810 it worked perfectly without this fix:

this code is at the end of the open window function, it simply forces focus back to the app itself.

http://github.com/lcuk/libliqbase/bl...x11info.c#L250

since you did not explain the problem and javispedro hasnt actually reproduced the error i think its at least something to consider and see.

let me know if its the same error, or describe the actual effect more clearly so we may try to help

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
using fremantle,
when i started to run liqbase, i discovered that pressing any key in my app would mysteriously open up one of the search apps.
When an app refuses focus, the focus ends up on the desktop. When a keypress is received by the desktop, this is interpreted as a request to look up contacts beginning with that letter.

this code is at the end of the open window function, it simply forces focus back to the app itself.
I would be a whole lot happier if applications did not attempt to mess with focus and left this to the window manager. That's what we have a window manager for. The ICCCM actually forbids you to do this unilaterally (4.2.7); you're also not supposed to be using RevertToPointerRoot or CurrentTime (see the footnotes of 4.2.7).

since you did not explain the problem and javispedro hasnt actually reproduced the error i think its at least something to consider and see.
I'm not sure why you think I didn't explain the problem, since I went into some detail here.

To recap:
  • A window can have a field called WM_HINTS.
  • One of the bits in this field is called InputHint.
  • If this bit is not set, the window is saying that it never wants input focus. If the window manager was to give such a window focus, the window manager would be broken.
  • libsdl contains a bug which clears this bit if you set an icon on your window.
  • Therefore, if you set an icon on an SDL window, the window manager will never give that window focus.
  • This is correct behaviour on the part of the window manager.
  • On the other hand, if you don't set an icon on the window, it doesn't matter, because Maemo is clever and will get the icon from elsewhere.
  • Therefore, not setting an icon is a perfect workaround until the libsdl bug is fixed.

I don't know whether your program is suffering from a similar bug, but I can check if you like. Or you can check, if you want, by running xprop against your toplevel window.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marnanel For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbc micro, bugs, n900, sdl