Active Topics

Hey, Thank You for sharing Your knowledge and experiences! I like wild ideas

You can be sure that I'll make use of those connectors. I can't guarantee success of my approach, but I'll surely check what can be done. Even with FM TX - it's antenna connector seems surprisingly reachable.

As for backcover modification, it' already started - check my signature. I've already implemented fully functional camera lens cover, now I'm working on including standard tripod mount (the main problem is space limitation, cause I use self-made dual-scud battery), stand "leg", and other ideas

As for attaching digital compass to N900, one guy already successfully connected one via Arduino and bluetooth, but of course, i2c approach is much more sane.

For sure I won't attach tv-style antenna - i prefer modularity via connectors. The craziest idea - not requiring mugen cover - would be to attach every antenna test connector to jack, and use such plugs to attach every antenna - one existing port, to connect them all (but not at once ). Ho ever, with dedicated "bulkhead" connectors, there is more chance for less gain loss and more noise reduction - I prefer that, while also I don't main another connector in my (Mugen) backcover.

What wonder me now, is point, where the antenna connectors actually connect = do we need to apply own impedance correction - after external antenna, but before N900 internal connector -, or not, cause impedance correction is still ahead of connector. Even if so, our antenna will most likely have different impedance, so to not loose almost all gain, we may need to perform impedance matching, anyway. Maybe "they" already standardized expected cable impedance (it's logical, that micro connector will join antenna via cable), to 75 OHM. Worth checking and determining - if not available in schematics - via experimenting.

Thanks again for photos and interesting info, about "struggle"
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
Hi,
I got an external Wlan antenna now on my N900. I will post a how to if someone is interested. Got a SMA connector now, so you can connect any antenna you want. This is also possible for GPS, for 3G i'm not sure, have to read about it.
Regards Marc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coredown For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Coredown View Post
Hi, I got an external Wlan antenna now on my N900. I will post a how to if someone is interested. Got a SMA connector now, so you can connect any antenna you want. This is also possible for GPS, for 3G i'm not sure, have to read about it. Regards Marc
photos and tutorials ar e welcome and does it help with extending coverage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Coredown View Post
Hi,
I got an external Wlan antenna now on my N900. I will post a how to if someone is interested. Got a SMA connector now, so you can connect any antenna you want. This is also possible for GPS, for 3G i'm not sure, have to read about it.
Regards Marc
How did you check the return loss of the combination of the connector and the strip line antenna?
Did you calculate the matching pads of it with spice or something or actually tune it while measuring the SWR?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Estel

Did you manage to attach the RP-SMA external antenna, if so did it boost the signal much?

I have a motorhome and will find this very usefull if it works.

however i have noticed that a simple signal booster and reamplification boxes are available for £60 which is powered and should increase signals.

Regards,

Garvin Timmann

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thank You tuxsavvy, that's the exact info I was looking for!

I wasn't aware, that N900 already contain connectors (szame on me, I thought I've gone through whole wiki "N900 hardware modifications" page!), I was planning to solder my own ones... Knowing that they are there, eliminates IMO the hardest part, so it's blazing great info!

As for drilling PCB, it's not good idea, cause it's multilayer - unless You find spot that You're 100% sure doesn't contain paths, and You're very careful, when drilling through layers of shielding and glass-epoxy.

I would rather thought about using free space near battery connector - if i remember correctly, hole is big enough for at least 2 cables. Even if not, modding N900 plastic cover is no problem for me, could even try make it (connectors at cover surface) good-looking

Of course, I was thinking mainly about GSM and WiFi - information, that GPS connector is also available make me really happy penguin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garvint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
So here are the first pics. But i have to say this N900 is just for testing mods, because it doesn't read SIM-cards any more. So i took the place from the audio jack for the SMA connector. Should be possible to find another place, i just wanted to know if it is possible. But there is not much place left in the housing. I now have better coverage, signal strenght etc. It depends on what antenna you use. But with a SMA connector on your phone you have many options, like a car roof antenna for GPS and Wlan for better signal. I orderd one and will test it out. I work a lot, but i will try to answer all your questions and post more photos if you want.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coredown For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Yes, more photos, vey close ones from different angles and how did it really end. How much longer reach does it have with wifi? If you are still around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Woops! Made here a post ment as PM. That's why deleted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: