Can someone tell me what Bluetooth GPS receiver works well with the N800 running OS2008. I would also like to know the mapping software most users are using? I am thinking of just using Maemo Mapper. Any suggestions will be apprecaited.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
i-blue 737 or 757. Well, pretty much any MTK-based GPS device will do you. But I use and love both i-blues.

Just for the future, fyi, filling your topic title with periods is neither necessary nor appreciated.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-01-25 at 02:05.

Hi All... First time, long time.

I'm not an owner yet but hope to be soon. Got burned on Ebay so waiting for resolution. Anyway...in regards to the a GPS unit, will any give vocal directions?

TIA

--Joe

Thanks for the advice and comments on the use of "periods" Will refrain in future

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Take a look at this thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1970
I searched the thread and could not find anything about voice or vocal directions. Thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by Jersey Joe View Post
Hi All... First time, long time.

I'm not an owner yet but hope to be soon. Got burned on Ebay so waiting for resolution. Anyway...in regards to the a GPS unit, will any give vocal directions?
I use the Holux GPS units (forget the models, but they are small and work well). Install 'flite' for text to speech, and Maemo Mapper will use it and give you verbal instructions as needed... IF you have a route downloaded, and are using it.

Tim

I like the Wintec G-Rays 2 (WBT-201). It has good reception. It is a logger, so it keeps logging your track to internal memory even when you turn off/disconnect your N800. Software to configure it and download the tracks is ported to maemo already. It works very well with maemo mapper.

The Global tops, since they do 5hz natively including the HUD model:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/search.aspx?keyword=globaltop

the new iTrek coming out does too, and may have a better bluetooth handling (when you disconnect, the GTs turn off after a while except for the HUD model - the iTrek will go to sleep and power up when the BT link is reestablished according to their blurb).

I did a quick search on amazon and found a GPS receiver that is supposed to work just fine and is under 50 bucks. Amazon is a really good place to try for any accesories IMO