Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
I'm pretty sure that this has been answered somewhere here in the forums but I'm unable to find it...

How can you edit the entries for the suggestions you get when typing?

Bump. I've got some entries that are autosuggested that are misspelled so I would like to be able to clear them out. Can someone please help me out or am I not being clear in what I'm asking for?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
The dictionary data in Maemo5 is stored in the files
/home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.personal.dictionary
/home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.used.dictionary

If you are an advanced user, you could remove some words from these files by using vim, or ssh'ing in order to use a UI text editor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
@Andre - That was the exact answer I was looking for.

What format are they in? Opening in vim there are a lot of control characters so I'd like to know a little more before starting to edit the file. I suppose I could just back it up first and start playing around with it, but if anyone has any documentation on how the file is laid out then that would be fantastic.

Just as a thought, this could be a great opportunity for a simple app to view/edit those two files. Don't have the time at the moment but couldn't be that difficult to do, right?

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
i think the autocomplete function is a bit rubbish ... its not often i use it as it uses a word that i dont intend to use. in example if i got to write the word 'extreme' i type 'extr' and it then displays 'extremely' which means i either carry on and type the last 3 letters 'eme' to get my word or i press the right arrow to complete the autosuggestion of extremely then delete the last 2 letters 'ly'
in this example its the same either way (3 additional button presses to get the desired word) but for some words its way easier to just type the entire word!

it would be better if it autocompleted to the shortest matching word so if you wanted to type extremly you type 'extr' autocomplete to 'extreme' then type an L then autocomplete to extremely (or just type the LY as its the same button presses obviously)

i know its not gonna change but just thought id have a bit of a rant!

laters all

Patience:
http://www.joaquimrocha.com/2010/03/...tion-on-gnome/

I turned off my prediction. I'm hoping that I'll either get enough time to learn the necessaries to create a 3x4 keyboard (abc, def, ghi...) and the prediction to go with it, or that someone else is already on it... For me with my fat fingers, that would be the single best way to speed up text entry..

@fraaaaanka - While I agree to some extent that it is frustrating, it still doesn't mean that we shouldn't improve it (or build tools to improve it).