Poll: Should Aleksandyr start working on print support?
Poll Options
Should Aleksandyr start working on print support?

I would -really- like to see this package, because it precisely describes the problem I'm having. It will be shortly followed by an unhildonized Abiword 2.5.0 that is nonetheless functional and will open and read and edit word docs. Print support to follow, and lastly hildonization.

add this repository
Repository: http://erinye.com/maemo
Distribution: mistral
Component: user
and take the red pill.

Then it should appear as a file with app manager.

I can confirm that although more-gconv-modules works with AbiWord 2.2.7 and allows full manipulation of word files, it does not work for the latest build of AbiWord.

One might even need to delete the latest Abiword repository in order to see this older build, the one available through erinye.com/maemo repository.

I use this build (2.2.7) with the more-gconv-modules hack daily; it ain't perfect, but works for me quite well.

Check out this thread, from danny back in October 2006:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...word+processor
all the details are there.....

dcarter

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
add this repository
Repository: http://erinye.com/maemo
Distribution: mistral
Component: user
and take the red pill.

Then it should appear as a file with app manager.

I can confirm that although more-gconv-modules works with AbiWord 2.2.7 and allows full manipulation of word files, it does not work for the latest build of AbiWord.

One might even need to delete the latest Abiword repository in order to see this older build, the one available through erinye.com/maemo repository.

I use this build (2.2.7) with the more-gconv-modules hack daily; it ain't perfect, but works for me quite well.

Check out this thread, from danny back in October 2006:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...word+processor
all the details are there.....

dcarter
I just installed Abiword on my N800 and sofar it has crashed only once. So, not too bad, then.

Thanks for the instructions (although I turned red pill off as soon as Abiword was installed: it scares me).

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Many of the bugs that have been fixed in new versions of Abiword have to do with Word and OpenOffice documents. While I am glad that the older version of Abiword exists as a stop-gap, I hope that it won't discourage Aleksandyr from continuing to port the latest version. The ability to reliably open complex Word and OpenOffice documents is part of makeing the Nxxx into a truely useful tool verses an "almost-as-good" concept device.

B

I've briefly read through this thread and I must admit I am confused. I am an AbiWord developer, and we _do_ have a hildonized AbiWord version (and a build of 2.4.6, admittedly for Mistral but which very barely works on bora). While I certainly appreciate your work, I think perhaps it would be more effective if you worked with us upstream, as there is definite interest in our community in keeping AbiWord usable on portable/embedded devices. We're small and friendly, and don't bite! Please join the developer mailing list (info at www.abisource.com ) and join forces with us! We'll gladly consider your patches! (and 2.5.x has a lot of changes that extend far beyond the Word and ODT support insinuated here, and we still like Maemo - especially now since I have an N800 and will need a nice AbiWord soon enough...)

Thanks!
Ryan
AbiWord Dev, Win32 Maintainer, and SoC Participant (AbiCollab)

(BTW - I don't think I used red pill with our packages, either...)

Hildonization, of course, would be submitted to you guys

95% of what I've been doing revolves around figuring out platform issues. The iconv issue is still there, and I still throw time at it every once in awhile to try to sort it out.

Newer versions of Hildon + newer versions of AbiWord seem to not play nicely. The last "Hildonized" build I saw was against one particular AbiWord and still had a laundry list of issues/crashes/etc.

I'm glad to see that someone with actual AbiWord knowledge is working on this now I wish I had more to offer.

Currently still hacking away at PhoneME...

If you could document what you're doing to make builds, that would be great - I haven't actually done the Abi build on Scratchbox yet due to lack of time, soon to be resolved, but I hope I can do so soon, and some directions would be useful, especially if I can reconcile them with (and adapt) the standard/official build instructions upstream.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Excellent! Megabyte, be sure to include printing support. IMHO, one of the few mistakes that the Nokia guys made was to leave printing support out because now application developers are leaving it out of the file menu. That is a problem because when someone (aleksandyr?) finally adds printing support none of the applications will support it.

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
If you could document what you're doing to make builds, that would be great - I haven't actually done the Abi build on Scratchbox yet due to lack of time, soon to be resolved, but I hope I can do so soon, and some directions would be useful, especially if I can reconcile them with (and adapt) the standard/official build instructions upstream.
95% ./configure, make, make install. Rinse and repeat until all deps are satisfied
4% Special options to configure that seem to vary from release to release.
1% Specific versions of scratchbox having issues.

Feel free to email/pm any errors you get, but it's a very vanilla process.

Alright - I'm quite familiar with how to build it on standard pc arches, I was mainly curious about how one goes about making the debian packages. Thanks for your help!

I'm fairly certain printing support was disabled because it would have pulled in a lot of dependencies (libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, hicolor-icon-theme if it's not already on there, some sort of printing backend, etc). You could try filing a bug or asking the user or dev lists - I know with 2.5.x the "embedded" builds have been made more modular so it might be possible to provide an unofficial "tweaker" version of Abi with printing support, I'm not sure.

Right now I'm trying to figure out whether a rebuild will fix the crashing and problems with word import on the n800 as they're the only problems I have personally observed and so can test. I'll be keeping this forum up to date.