Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
Or at least it would be useful if they documented their findings, like a description of the whatsapp protocol so others could pick up from there. They did get many users hopes high, so any sort of updates would be good.

Originally Posted by didik.wahyono View Post
Hi DataGhost, do you know what is the return value of
WhatsAppBG.getInstance().getAppProperty(Constants. MIDLET_VERSION) ?
Its no need for that , it returns the version of the whatsapp client i think , its not used anywhere (user-agent maybe ... useless)

I'd love to have it on maemo
I switched back from my galaxy s2 to my n900.
KP49 + 720p recording/playing + Battery Patch/Speedpatch + PreEnv (Angry Birds RIO) + QML-tube + H-E-N etc.. nothing can beat that.

The only thing I'm missing is WhatsApp.

Btw, it works on Nitdroid.
Just install the stable N12 (not 2.3.7 or N14 cause they're slow and unstable) and use kernel rc7.
Then you can install it from the market, it will verify your number the second try
Only thing that sucks is that I cant pickup a call when on Nitdroid :P

I hope you guys succeed in decompiling it

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, México
i just need whtatsapp!! the N9 will be perfect (considering that the N900 version will be ported to the N9)

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
@teamer:

Appreciate it if you could give us a status update so that us impatient people know what's happening and hopefully "shut up" while you work on it knowing well we can get our crummy hands on it while it gets out of alpha testing...

The Following User Says Thank You to ajack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Borneo
Originally Posted by teamer View Post
Its no need for that , it returns the version of the whatsapp client i think , its not used anywhere (user-agent maybe ... useless)
but if we look at the
public void login() throws IOException, FunXMPP.LoginFailureException, FunXMPP.CorruptStreamException {
this.out.streamStart(this.connection.domain, this.connection.resource);
System.err.println("sent stream start");
sendFeatures();
System.err.println("sent features");
sendAuth();
System.err.println("sent auth");

this.in.streamStart();
System.err.println("read stream start");
String challengeData = readFeaturesAndChallenge();
System.err.println("read features and challenge");
sendResponse(challengeData);
System.err.println("sent response");
readSuccess();
}
this.out.streamStart() will send the resource right? i'm still trying to get a connection to the server, whatever data i send, the server will close the connection after 10 seconds.. have you managed to get an active connection to WA server?

Keep this thing going guys. I won't be using whatsapp myself, but for what it's worth, Nokia are not alone for killing Maemo/N900. There's been 100s of apps suggested in the Brainstorm section that have been dismissed by some community developers whith “What ya want that crap for? Go buy an Android”. Then elsewhere they complain about how crap Maemo is because there's no apps.
Where's the logic in that?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Lebanon
thank you for trying to port WHATSAPP to N900
wish you all the best

The Following User Says Thank You to whatsappneeder For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
any email client? its much closer to what you are describing than whatsapp(dont really get the deal with whatsapp anyway, its just another messenger, and not even all that good...)
and doesnt whatsapp start to charge 2$ a year the first year? if so, unlike email its not free
Haha I actually agree with you about preferring an email client or any other of the open source messengers, but unfortunately lots of people I know don't... preferring to use WhatsApp.

The case for wanting it on Maemo is more about keeping in contact with friends who use it (instead of email, SMS, MSN etc.) rather than any particular advantage/benefit of the software itself!

But anyway, enough of this discussion. As Aranel said let's get back to the more interesting technical/progress side of this thread!

Originally Posted by didik.wahyono View Post
but if we look at the

this.out.streamStart() will send the resource right? i'm still trying to get a connection to the server, whatever data i send, the server will close the connection after 10 seconds.. have you managed to get an active connection to WA server?
Not quite, it will initiate a connection with to the server it seems - possibly create a new socket connection - I'm guessing!

But you need to look at sendAuth() method more closely, and also determine what type is out.

Could someone (i.e. a mod) please create a new thread specifically for developers, comments from other people is adding to the noise.

Another thread in the developer section would be ideal.