Closed Thread
Debian servers would be quite a good idea based on Maemo's roots. If only remaining binary blobs could be removed by ui clones or replacing stacks to make them obsolete. Would be interesting then to rebase Maemo on latest Debian.

Git repository is all well and good, but how does that go towards solving the issues we've had with cssu and kp. Before any concrete plans are made, a suitable er.. maintainer management solution needs to be explored, be it on maemo.org or new servers.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
One advantage we have is that all the binary blobs are in a separate repository (from Nokia). They're not even at the same physical location last I looked. This will make the mirror/transition rather painless, since we don't have to worry about legality when mirroring most of the content (extras-*, cssu-*, etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
as it stands, if that is correct, it would be great. the issue would be if the nokia repo was shutdown. what would the situation be on mirroring the binary files then? would setting up a new repo accelerate the closure of the nokia repo?

at the moment devs just have to work around them or replace them like for like, but what happens moving forward when a bug/abi or api change/feature request arrises. Flash 10 (sorry, first binary i thought of) is good example. a newer glibc etc may allow a newer version to run, but break another binary. Kernel, may be much easier for pali and freemangordon to manage if we could ship mainline with a much smaller patchset but would mess up how much?

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
what would the situation be on mirroring the binary files then? would setting up a new repo accelerate the closure of the nokia repo?
We can't host Nokia's closed source things repos without permission. Of course, user can have them on disks unofficially, and share personally (on optical disks or via sharing services/torrents etc) as law permits in country where they live.

Still, i don't see sane reason for Nokia to shut down their repos (non-extras) without allowing us to mirror them - that would mean dropping support totally for devices of Nokia's every client, *not* our project. That would mean no N900 users would be able to upgrade to pr 1.3 (or 1.3.1), etc. Shutting down support for such device seems like suicidal move for Nokia - they keep files for devices older 4-6x as much.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
thanks for clearing that up. I have the latest firmware files stored in case anyway, as I suspect most around here do for reflashing.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
There will be a Council Meeting on Thursday January 12 at 13:00UTC on #maemo-meeting. It is open for non-council interested people to attend but the log is typically published afterwards. (sorry for the late notice)
partial agenda:

1. Ovi N900 repository - key issue
2. Support for maemo infrastructure
A. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12284
B. Admin positions for maemo volunteers
3. Clarification of "official" vs. "unofficial" support in bugzilla and other parts
4, Community fragmentation and proposal to merge parts of harmattan into maemo
A. Comments that appsformeego.com will move to maemo.org http://communitizer.blogspot.com/201...for-meego.html
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.ph....org#post37862 when Maemo Council has not been contacted about this.
5. Qt-style agreement to formally move maemo infrastructure to community organization

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Question for Council:
Nokia OVI apt-repository had changed GPG key and public GPG is not published. Here is reported bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12522 Andre Klapper wrote that maemo bugzilla is not right place. So where to report that bug?? Or can Maemo Council fix this bug (find missing public key and publish it)? Or again - (OVI) another repository problem - and only one persion who can fix it is X-Fade???
Stefano is working on it and it should be fixed in a few days. Let me know via PM if it is not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Do we have figures about what the workload was in the past for server administration / repo administration?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
where can i find the minutes? thanks!

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
where can i find the minutes? thanks!
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclo...01-12.log.html

My website

GitHub

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council