Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
In terms of interest, N9 is on top of the gsmarena charts by far. This will be a superseller!

Ok somebody please confirm this.
Ergonpandilus from finnish forum is saying that you can kill application by siwping upwards from bottom of the device? He has used the device.
You just need to set it from settings before this comes available.

This is great if true! So you could close the apps fast when you are inside it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Ergonpandilus from finnish forum is saying that you can kill application by siwping upwards from bottom of the device? he has used the device.
Everything I've seen suggests that just takes you back to the multitasking view; but I've not tried it. The qemu image doesn't appear to have that, but the Settings app won't start anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Everything I've seen suggests that just takes you back to the multitasking view; but I've not tried it. The qemu image doesn't appear to have that, but the Settings app won't start anyway.
He says that this was done because of Nokia fearing that it would confuse the novice users, but you could indeed put the feature on from settings.

If true the UI is really starting to show Skillman's touch behind Harmattan UI.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Just looked it up in wikipedia and wish I hadn't (I get depressed when I read things I understood in high school and am clueless about now, like chemistry).

On a side note, I found this interesting (it applies to food containers):

Bisphenol A appeared to be released from polycarbonate animal cages into water at room temperature and it may have been responsible for enlargement of the reproductive organs of female mice.

So don't lick your N9's!!!
Damn that was #25 on my disruptive wish list from another thread
(quouting myself)

I'm expecting a lot from this "disruptive device." Here is my list:

1) It should come with a toothbrush attachment so I can stick it on vibrate and brush my teeth with it.

2) There should be a laser pointer, dog whistle, breathalyzer and pico projector in it.

3) It should have a knife attachment so I can put it on vibrate and cut chicken with it.

4) It should have an etching attachment so I can etch nasty comments on the back of my friends iphones.

5) When I say, "wonderphone powers activate" and slam it down on the table and say, "take the form of a dildo" it should just do it.

6) It should come with a case................of beer.

7) It should have been released on 4/20 in Amsterdam and came with a big fat joint to help us all get over the Elopacolypse.

8) It should have a wallpaper of it eating iphones.

9) Since it's the alpha phone it should know how to "fake it till you make it" and it should trick us into
believing it's running future meego without bug.

10) When my girlfriend calls it should splash random excuses and lies on the screen in case she asks what was I doing and why
didn't I answer the phone.

11) When my car alarm goes off it should go off too and flash, "someones stealing your car" on the screen.

12) It should have fart noise cancellation - the anti "fart app" app. So if I fart nobody knows it's me.

13) It should give sass to keep things interesting depending on how much sassiness I choose from the settings menu - no sass,
sassy, extra sassy and super sassy.
If I choose super sassy I should get an audio confirmation from Mike meyers.
Example ME: "Phone, google search meego tablet review." Phone: "Say please."

14) It should have a set of wings and propellers accessory so I can just slip them on and tell it to go fly to a gps
coordinate and come back with footage or I could just say, "find Mary, go boy!"

15) It should respond to me like the computers in star trek and address me as sir or mister and congratulate me when I *ahem "finish."

16) It should slide up and down on my johnson while vibrating and playing an animation of my favorite playboy bunny - slding up
and down on my Johnson.

17) It should double as a coaster.

18) I should be able to scan a sandwhich and have it tell me how much calories it has.

19) It should scan for life signs.

20) It should have echo location and warn me when I'm drunk and walking at night if a cop car is coming or I'm going to bump into something.

21) When I'm spending special time with my girlfriend it should use the accelerometer to measure my thrust strength and count
and compare it to a national database of males to see how I'm doing and it should filter out lesbians with toys that will try
to bloat the figures on purpose to hurt our egos.

22) It should have came with a kickstand ............. for my bike. It's a decent bike with monkey lights and bike speakers
and I'm tired of laying it on the ground.

23) The batteries should be from Chino not China, Chino not China, Chino...!!

24) When I score with a hot chick it should project a hologram that gives me a high five.

25) It should taste good when I lick it

26) It should be made out of liquidmetal so it's indestructible http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/default.asp
unless you leave it on top of a very hot oven.

27) When I toss it in the air with a flip to catch it again it should say, "Weeeeeeeee."

28) it should come with an attachment that lets me use it to play spin the bottle and a cheating app that lets me make it
point to the girl that I want.

29) It should hack my ps3 to make the games easier and convince that I'm a better player than I really am.

30) When I root it I should see Kunta Kinte on the screen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...ry_Edition.jpg

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I don't get it. If one wants to run Android apps why not just get an Android device? They are available right now in a wide range of form factors, hardware capabilities and price points.
The maestro C from evolve III will triple boot this harmattan (probably with their own ui), Windows 7 (with 5 home screens) and Android.
Look at the battery life on meego

http://www.evolvethree.com.au/produc...nvertible.html

Here is a video
http://www.mobilityfeeds.com/mobilit...emo-meego.html

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Ergonpandilus from finnish forum is saying that you can kill application by siwping upwards from bottom of the device? He has used the device.

This is great if true! So you could close the apps fast when you are inside it.
Correction to this. He actually said swiping from top to bottom closes the app. I just assumed otherwise.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Correction to this. He actually said swiping from top to bottom closes the app. I just assumed otherwise.
This is a great idea. I really like this UI.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
qt-components UI is released for Harmattan:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ick-components

Plan is to push this to N900CE hopefully sometime next week sheard on IRC at freenode #meego-arm
From that link:

"Technically, any environment that Run Qt 4.7.4 or newer should be able to run Harmattan Qt Quick Components. Nokia Developer former Forum Nokia will provides a community port of components to Ubuntu Natty, Maemo5, and MeeGo 1.2. New components could be easily adapted for example to MeeGo 1.2 style with just small hack in application."

I can't wait!!! It appears we have almost all the pieces to get the ball rolling on getting a better experience out of our N900s. I hope the CE team really takes the components and run with them.

Does anyone have any links to comments from the CE developers about updates as such?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Just a few things I'd like to add.

1, UK availability:
Expansys have it on pre order \0/
So do Play (though they aren't UK)
They haven't appeared on Carphone Warehouse or Phones4u yet, but fingers crossed.

2, Non-removable battery.
Apparently held in by 2 screws, can be done:
achipa Jaffa: n950 battery is replaceable-ish
achipa MohammadAG: you unscrew when you get it and throw away the screws
achipa in about 3 days, you'll figure out how to open it
achipa two weeks later, you'll be able to swat a battery in total darkness, a la gun-training in the marines
link

3, Lack of desktops and foldering of apps.
As Kontorri said, they're going to allow you to put your apps into folders. Which could at a stretch give you some form of desktop. I.e. rename each folder 1,2,3,4,... (or whatever) put what you want in each folder and wow, you've got desktops, with a desktop selecter! Far quicker than having to swipe 4 times to get to Desktop 5 currently on your n900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????