Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
"-Running Sailfish on the Nokia N9 is technically possible, but the experience will not be optimal.

-Sailfish runs very well on “low end” devices as well."

Does this mean the N9 is even worse than "low end"???
It doesn't mean it runs worse.

Probably means it will miss features like phone calls or NFC.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Getting Sailfish on Nokia devices and other devices will probably be possible for community, but you have to remember there will be closed proprietary applications, so it may not be end-user ready, I think this is what they mean by "not be optimal". You'll basically have to use those apps that are available for Nemo to get the functionality you require from the device. In which case, I'd suggest just helping to get Nemo more feature complete and working for your purposes in the interim.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
-Jolla is rapidly becoming a Finnish-Chinese Hybrid.
...having suff^H worked with Chinese partners in combined hardware/software projects, i really hope the end-product is up to the par... European construction / mechanics and assembling IS something different. Not to speak of HF shielding and SW security...

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-12-16 at 13:15.

from jolla fb
Attached Images

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
interacting with widgets in nine application view will be tricky. I Have a feeling they have to work it out. We Need to see some use cases.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
interacting with widgets in nine application view will be tricky. I Have a feeling they have to work it out. We Need to see some use cases.
i find it more interesting that they say most android apps will work on sailfish

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kb61 View Post
i find it more interesting that they say most android apps will work on sailfish
I Prefer To Use Android Devices if I Need Android Application. How Will Google React On This? Any Comments From Jolla Or Google?

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I Prefer To Use Android Devices if I Need Android Application. How Will Google React On This? Any Comments From Jolla Or Google?
Google probably wont care RIMs playbook is also compatible with android apps and they haven't done anything about it. I just hope this is just for the beginning and native apps for salifish are built on the way. Emulation sucks

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
How CAN google react on it? They might not like it a lot, but hey, they claim Android is open, so they can't do much about it anyway. They might try to exempt these devices from using google play store (man, that name is stupid), but they'd only shoot them selfs in the foot by doing so. The only thing (?) are the google apps like google maps and gmail. These are not free (as in speech, and neither as in beer). Not that I care, I avoid Google like the plague.

Besides, in European law interoperability has a special status IIRC.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I don't think google will even care, They don't make much money from the Android anyway. They make money through Android via adverts. Hard to find an application or service that would not be riddled with the ads.
+
Google makes money by licensing the Google Apps that come on most Android phones (but not all). Apps like Gmail, the Android Market, Google Search, and others come in something called GAPPS.

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2012-12-17 at 07:04.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?