Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ ABU DHABI - UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
the nokia N900 is a magical phone and I don't know why I tried messing it up. right now I cant even access my photos and audio clips yet they exist in the file manager.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ ABU DHABI - UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
/home/user # dpkg -r nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06
(Reading database ... 27985 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06 ...
Android not found. MUST be mounted on '/and'
dpkg: error processing nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06 (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06
/home/user #

thats the report after tryng to uninstall it.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Those packages where outdated when i was experimenting with Nitdroid some time ago. Get rid of them!
Code:
apt-get purge nitdroid-installer nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_final1

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso31+0cssu0) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

/home/user # apt-get purge nitdroid-installer nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_finall
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_finall
/home/user #

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Viqtah,
It's final1 i.e. 1 not L

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This is all very true and very useful but I can't get rid of the feeling that this is like worrying about a rusty exhaust when the engine needs fixing. Sure, the exhaust needs replacing too but that is not your biggest concern.

Removing nitroid installer and kernel will save you a few MB but you need to clean a few hundred MB. So please return to post #28 and give us the results of the commands there.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by viqtah View Post
the nokia N900 is a magical phone and I don't know why I tried messing it up. right now I cant even access my photos and audio clips yet they exist in the file manager.
N900 is not a "magical phone". If you don't know what you are doing then you shouldn't have bothered installing nitdroid in the first place. Blindly following instructions and not knowing specifically what each command does let alone understanding how linux and/or package managers in general would lead anyone to think N900 is some sort of "magical device". There is no magic when it comes to N900. A simple solution I would *highly* recommend is for you to backup and reflash. Maybe you can and will learn a lesson from all of this experience. It would be far quicker than trying to fix up any issues you have and to see you thread hijacking.

nitdroid has their own support forums, its called http://forum.nitdroid.com. There's plenty of nitdroid threads scattered on both this forum as well as nitdroid forum. So there's really no need to go hijack other people's threads when they were asking about [A] (or specifically apt-get cert issue) and you're trying to divert the case to be [B] (specifically nitdroid issue).

Now... looking back at what you have said:
Nokia-N900-51-1:/and# dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_rc4_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 37748 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07 rc4 (using .../nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_rc4_armel.deb) ...
Deleting leftover 2.6.28.NIT.07 modules in Android...
Deleting leftover 2.6.28.NIT.07 modules in Maemo...
Unpacking replacement nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07 ...
Setting up nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07 (rc4) ...
Copying 2.6.28.NIT.07 essential modules to Maemo...
Running depmod...
Creating item file for multiboot
Nokia-N900-51-1:/and# leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/11-NITDroid-mmcblk0p2-2.6.28.NIT

it redirects me to leafpad from there and nothing happens
Prior to this you have not installed nitdroid, am I wrong? This clearly shows you used dpkg to install nitdroid. Do you see the path that it clearly show:
Code:
Nokia-N900-51-1:/and#
Doesn't that tell you that you have installed nitdroid under "/and"? This is why:
/home/user # dpkg -r nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06
(Reading database ... 27985 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06 ...
dpkg: error processing nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06 (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06
/home/user #

thats the report after tryng to uninstall it.
Would not work because you can clearly see:
Code:
I don't know how you manage to go from 2.6.28-07 to 2.6.28-06. Nonetheless:
Code:
dpkg -l| grep nitdroid
clearly shows:
/home/user # dpkg -l | grep nitdroid
ii nitdroid-installer 0.2.8-8 NITDroid new autoinstaller fetches and installs the
ii nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06 final1 Linux kernel for NITDroid
/home/user #
So that now leaves two nitdroid related packages installed. One being "nitdroid-installer" package which needs to be manually removed. The other is "nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06" package which will require you to mount /and partition. Without you telling us exactly which guide you followed nobody can help you.

Hopefully you didn't continue on following the nitdroid installation guide to the point where you have basically FUBARed your maemo setup. Otherwise it will be a simple matter of just suggesting to backup and reflash.

In the meantime, I strongly urge you to start reading manual pages. In most linux installations, the manual pages are always included. The only exception are under embedded devices (including maemo). The only way to read manual pages if you cannot access one is via searching with Google. For example, to learn what dpkg is and how it works the normal command would be "man dpkg". If you don't have manpages installed anywhere else you can simply "man dpkg" into Google search and the first few links will be the links directly from the manual itself. There are few other minor exceptions but the bottom line is that you need to stop thinking N900 is some sort of "magical phone". It isn't, you just need to learn how it works (ideally having linux installed elsewhere and you constantly use it would be a bonus) is the most important step.

"alex" on nitdroid forum has said this before:
Originally Posted by alex
learn terminal commands: apt-get install -f and apt-get purge commands , n900 isn't a phone for normal phone users
I personally wholeheartedly agree.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This is all very true and very useful but I can't get rid of the feeling that this is like worrying about a rusty exhaust when the engine needs fixing. Sure, the exhaust needs replacing too but that is not your biggest concern.

Removing nitroid installer and kernel will save you a few MB but you need to clean a few hundred MB. So please return to post #28 and give us the results of the commands there.

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

/home/user # apt-get clean
/home/user # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,bulk_read,no_chk_data_crc)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=1024k)
tmpfs on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noatime,size=256k,mode=755)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,size=65536k)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /home type ext3 (noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,commit=1,data= writeback)
/home/opt on /opt type none (bind)
nodev on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (0)
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python2.5 on /usr/lib/python2.5 type bind (bind)
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/pyshared on /usr/share/pyshared type bind (bind)
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/pyshared on /usr/lib/pyshared type bind (bind)
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/python-support on /usr/share/python-support type bind (bind)
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python-support on /usr/lib/python-support type bind (bind)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /home/user/MyDocs type vfat (rw,noauto,nodev,exec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,ut f8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0000, rodir)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type vfat (rw,noauto,nodev,exec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,ut f8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0000, rodir)
/home/user # df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 233104 228820 0 100% /
ubi0:rootfs 233104 228820 0 100% /
tmpfs 1024 88 936 9% /tmp
tmpfs 256 96 160 38% /var/run
none 10240 80 10160 1% /dev
tmpfs 65536 4 65532 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p2 2064208 719360 1239992 37% /home
/home/opt 2064208 719360 1239992 37% /opt
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python2.5
2064208 719360 1239992 37% /usr/lib/python2.5
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/pyshared
2064208 719360 1239992 37% /usr/share/pyshared
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/pyshared
2064208 719360 1239992 37% /usr/lib/pyshared
/opt/pymaemo/usr/share/python-support
2064208 719360 1239992 37% /usr/share/python-support
/opt/pymaemo/usr/lib/python-support
2064208 719360 1239992 37% /usr/lib/python-support
/dev/mmcblk0p1 28312128 8892224 19419904 31% /home/user/MyDocs
/dev/mmcblk1p1 3871744 8192 3863552 0% /media/mmc1
/home/user # free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 245540 240400 5140 0 4312
Swap: 786424 51324 735100
Total: 1031964 291724 740240
/home/user # du -kx / | sort -n tail -n20
sort: invalid option -- 2
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso31+0cssu0) multi-call binary

Usage: sort [-nrugMcszbdfimSTokt] [-o FILE] [-k start[.offset][opts][,end[.offset][opts]] [-t CHAR] [FILE]...

/home/user # du -kx/home | sort -n | tail -n20
du: invalid option -- /
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso31+0cssu0) multi-call binary

Usage: du [-aHLdclsxhmk] [FILE]...

/home/user #

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
N900 is not a "magical phone". If you don't know what you are doing then you shouldn't have bothered installing nitdroid in the first place. Blindly following instructions and not knowing specifically what each command does let alone understanding how linux and/or package managers in general would lead anyone to think N900 is some sort of "magical device". There is no magic when it comes to N900. A simple solution I would *highly* recommend is for you to backup and reflash. Maybe you can and will learn a lesson from all of this experience. It would be far quicker than trying to fix up any issues you have and to see you thread hijacking.

nitdroid has their own support forums, its called http://forum.nitdroid.com. There's plenty of nitdroid threads scattered on both this forum as well as nitdroid forum. So there's really no need to go hijack other people's threads when they were asking about [A] (or specifically apt-get cert issue) and you're trying to divert the case to be [B] (specifically nitdroid issue).

Now... looking back at what you have said:

Prior to this you have not installed nitdroid, am I wrong? This clearly shows you used dpkg to install nitdroid. Do you see the path that it clearly show:
Code:
Nokia-N900-51-1:/and#
Doesn't that tell you that you have installed nitdroid under "/and"? This is why:

Would not work because you can clearly see:
Code:
I don't know how you manage to go from 2.6.28-07 to 2.6.28-06. Nonetheless:
Code:
dpkg -l| grep nitdroid
clearly shows:

So that now leaves two nitdroid related packages installed. One being "nitdroid-installer" package which needs to be manually removed. The other is "nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06" package which will require you to mount /and partition. Without you telling us exactly which guide you followed nobody can help you.

Hopefully you didn't continue on following the nitdroid installation guide to the point where you have basically FUBARed your maemo setup. Otherwise it will be a simple matter of just suggesting to backup and reflash.

In the meantime, I strongly urge you to start reading manual pages. In most linux installations, the manual pages are always included. The only exception are under embedded devices (including maemo). The only way to read manual pages if you cannot access one is via searching with Google. For example, to learn what dpkg is and how it works the normal command would be "man dpkg". If you don't have manpages installed anywhere else you can simply "man dpkg" into Google search and the first few links will be the links directly from the manual itself. There are few other minor exceptions but the bottom line is that you need to stop thinking N900 is some sort of "magical phone". It isn't, you just need to learn how it works (ideally having linux installed elsewhere and you constantly use it would be a bonus) is the most important step.

"alex" on nitdroid forum has said this before:
I personally wholeheartedly agree.
any idea unto how I can get rid of nitdroid?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
/home/user # df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 233104 228820 0 100% /
No space left in rootfs! No wonder you have problems. I bet most of it is taken up by /and.

/home/user # du -kx / | sort -n tail -n20
sort: invalid option -- 2
There is a pipe symbol ("|") missing between -n and tail.

/home/user # du -kx/home | sort -n | tail -n20
du: invalid option -- /
A space missing between -kx and /home.

any idea unto how I can get rid of nitdroid?
Start with...
Code:
sudo gainroot
rm -rf /and
Be EXTREMELY careful to type it correctly. Mistyping may lead to rendering your phone completely unusable and having to reflash.

Once done, repeat the df and du commands from post #28, making sure you type them correctly this time.