Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
It seems more useful to try something big and different, instead.
Ok, let me bounce this one off the folks here: I really, really liked the Indiegogo tablet concept, because it seemed to offer a modern mobile computing platform that had a fairly open and fairly standard Linux OS.

So, would it be possible to have another Indiegogo campaign, but this time involving a group of people interested only in producing a tablet running a Mer-based OS? If the hardware isn't too expensive, and the OS doesn't take too much effort to port, and you can get the devices into users hands quickly enough, it might be possible to create a larger base of support for the OS...

Producing a phone is always going to involve getting support from cell companies, and face enormous competition from the duopoly. But the tablet market seems more open (especially if you can somehow market the device as the bridge between your desktop and your mobile life, something that still doesn't seem to have caught on; e.g., the blowback from Tim Cook's recent remarks that the iPad Pro can replace a desktop machine).

In any case, I still believe starting by selling directly to users is a better startup strategy than trying to woo large manufacturers to a new OS. (I think Jolla would have done better following that route themselves, doubling down on the phone and getting the tablet out more quickly...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
i would prefer an indiegogo funding about several restricted devices (nexus5, or other affordable handset) with more and more addictive supp devices with getting more and more money for that. i dont know: if you raise x euros we will support nexus 5, if we raise x+y we support nexus5 and n9 etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So, would it be possible to have another Indiegogo campaign, but this time involving a group of people interested only in producing a tablet running a Mer-based OS? If the hardware isn't too expensive, and the OS doesn't take too much effort to port, and you can get the devices into users hands quickly enough, it might be possible to create a larger base of support for the OS...
This might sound a bit heretic, but what if you could stuff your UX experience (reusing a bit of middleware, but not all the privacy invading **** and with no UX) on top of any Android hardware out there with less than 1 day worth of porting effort?

.. Except it would require not using a Mer-based (or for that matter any GNU/Linux) OS and leaving your favourite technologies behind, for the easier spreading.

That'd be a lot easier, wouldn't it?

What matters more? glibc/systemd; or control over the experiences that is the thing you actually touch; spread easily across the world to everybody?

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2015-11-24 at 14:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
it is a way to say that you will be focusing on tizen leaving mer and nemo behind,despite fact it is our favourite technology ?

is it really tizen as opensource as mer? capable of the same muktitasking and flexibility? and what about that orrible ui and ux really the same of android?
i like tizen,but if i have to get a copy of android i wold choose android. and i dont want it

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2015-11-24 at 14:54.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
it is a way to say that you will be focusing on tizen leaving mer and nemo behind,despite fact it is our favourite technology ?

is it really tizen as opensource as mer? capable of the same muktitasking and flexibility? and what about that orrible ui and ux really the same of android?
i like tizen,but if i have to get a copy of android i wold choose android. and i dont want
Who mentioned Tizen? O_o

This might sound a bit heretic, but what if you could stuff your UX experience (reusing a bit of middleware, but not all the privacy invading **** and on no UX) on top of any Android hardware out there with less than 1 day worth of porting effort?
Well, actually, this sounds along the lines of what I was suggesting way back at the beginning of this thread, but it seemed like you weren't so interested in targeting existing hardware for your new concept.

.. Except it would require not using a Mer-based (or for that matter any GNU/Linux) OS and leaving your favourite technologies behind, for the easier spreading.

That'd be a lot easier, wouldn't it?
Hmm. Dunno. If I want a mobile experience different than what I've got on my desktop right now, and I want to be able to run it on any Android device, I've already got a solution for that: I use Android.

Just what are you going to give me that is better than Android? If your new OS only runs on Android machines, and can only run apps that are built for your OS, you're going to have a heck of a time getting people to adopt it. Even if you could run Android apps under your new OS, what's the point if Android is already available on the target platform?

At the very least, you'll need some sort of hook, like the Solu guys have. (A Solu OS that can run on Android hardware might have a chance...)

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
No. No. What?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Just what are you going to give me that is better than Android? If your new OS only runs on Android machines, and can only run apps that are build for your OS, you're going to have a heck of a time getting people to adopt it. Even if you could run Android apps under your new OS, what's the point if Android is already available on the target platform?
Well, deep down, SailfishOS reuses Android drivers too. Why not take the bigger leap and reuse all the good parts of Android?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Well, deep down, SailfishOS reuses Android drivers too. Why not take the bigger leap and reuse all the good parts of Android?
Well, high up, SailfishOS can run the stuff I run on my desktop: bash, vim, ssh, all the utilities I use to access long-term storage, etc. I'm able to use it more-or-less like my desktop machine, which is very very nice.

If I've gotta use an OS based on Android drivers, and I can't use the OS I'm used to on my desktop, I'll personally just use Android itself. I don't seem to have the kind of qualms other folks here have with it. You've gotta sell me on something Android doesn't have but that I want; avoiding the privacy-invading **** is good, but I don't think it's enough...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
No. No. What?
sorry i misunderstood what you said. forgive me about that

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device