Notices

I also didn't quite get it: do I or do not see the track on the map while on it? So far I haven't seen a single line.
Speaking generally and expressing an opinion of grass-root, not-a-comp-geek user, I have to resume - so far the only thing about the app is the interface and tile download.
No tracks to see as you progress
No distance measuring tool (wouldn't it be nice to point-measure the distance?)
No navigation (in my case at least)
No poi (in my case at least) or no POI usage from another platforms (hope it's coming)
Address search. Despite my best efforts (again, regular user's efforts) I couldn't find, say, Moscow.
So, every time I try to do some stated feature, I already know it's not gonna work for me....it the things like that, that make regular people give up on any apps.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
Hi MartinK,

thanks for the nice app. I have a question about tile map dir. Why do not you use the same folder as MEAP or mappero, the ..map_tile_cache?

Best regards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bonsai009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Originally Posted by Reeby View Post
I also didn't quite get it: do I or do not see the track on the map while on it? So far I haven't seen a single line.
There is a ticket for it, I have already requested it and MartinK is going to implement it.
Right now you can see a log only after you have finished recording it.
Menu->tracklogs->...->log_->show on map

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Garfield007 View Post
Ty for response, just about the 2) i was not enough clear :

2) While i was walking i not got the trace from where i started recording on map, wich options i missed ?

If i start log from a place called x and walk to another place called y, on map there is no line traced between x and Y while i m walking and log still recording.
Well, thats because its not implemented yet. Of course, it is possible to draw the points that are being stored anyway, but there are performance considerations:
  • by default, every second a point is logged
  • so for example, after logging for 1 hour = 3600 points
  • to draw a point/line line segment, you have to get its screen coordinates
  • which can be quite costly time wise + you need to do it for all points, even the ones that you don't see
  • every time the map moves, this needs to be done again
Of course, this is a simple implementation without any optimization. When drawing the tracklogs, the points are geographically clustered and only visible clusters are drawn, but this is done only after the tracklog is finished and loaded/processed.

So for now, I'll implement it the simple way + add an option for drawing all/last100/las500/last1000 points. that should work for now.

Not look alot, but there is option for change track s color ?

Like i import one log on map in blue and when i walk and record , my way is in red on map.

Ty for your patience
Thats what I did yesterday. It is now possible to choose a color for a track + all tracks get an initial color from a (short) list of distinct colors.

Originally Posted by Reeby View Post
Speaking generally and expressing an opinion of grass-root, not-a-comp-geek user, I have to resume - so far the only thing about the app is the interface and tile download.
No distance measuring tool (wouldn't it be nice to point-measure the distance?)
No navigation (in my case at least)
No poi (in my case at least) or no POI usage from another platforms (hope it's coming)
Address search. Despite my best efforts (again, regular user's efforts) I couldn't find, say, Moscow.
So, every time I try to do some stated feature, I already know it's not gonna work for me....it the things like that, that make regular people give up on any apps.
ModRana is currently in heavy development (its in Extras-devel after all) and many features are not complete.
  • draw a trace when logging -> see previous reply, will be added in next version
  • distance measurement -> definitely planed + area measurement, etc.
  • POI -> currently not much usable, a few concepts for the planed rework can be found in the thread somewhere
  • turn-by-turn navigation -> planed, big part already in place code-wise
  • address search will get a list of possible locations for every address entered (like in Google Directions, basically)

See the active ticket list for short-term planed features.

Originally Posted by bonsai009 View Post
Hi MartinK,

thanks for the nice app. I have a question about tile map dir. Why do not you use the same folder as MEAP or mappero, the ..map_tile_cache?

Best regards
OK, I'll look into this. If the folder structure is the same , it should be possible to share the tiles. Do MEAP/mappero use similar folder names for map layers ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
@MartinK,

sorry, the name from the folder is /home/user/MyDocs/.maps and I think, the structure is the same.

Best regards

Hello, big problem here,

Yesterday i download tiles for 40 km around and all parameter at max, was like 90 000 tiles for around 12 hour of download.

Download finished without probleme but when i launch Modrana 95% of times i got a big gray screen instead of map and i don t even have modrana interface's buton.

And sometimes i got map with all button but it s go gray like 5s after.

Last edited by Garfield007; 2010-08-02 at 20:10.

Hi MartinK,

I have found in your user_config.conf the place for changing the map-tile-cache. I have change it to /home/user/.Mydocs/.maps. Then I have change in the map_config.conf all the folder_prefixes to my structure. My question is, mapnik and OpenStreetMap, is this the same? Meap use this foldernames shown in the picture.

Best regards
Attached Images

Last edited by bonsai009; 2010-08-03 at 07:40.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Download finished without probleme but when i launch Modrana 95% of times i got a big gray screen instead of map and i don t even have modrana interface's buton.

And sometimes i got map with all button but it s go gray like 5s after.
Seems like an error occurring in the drawing pipeline. The buttons are drawn last, over the map and possible a possible overlay, so if something goes horribly wrong earlier in the pipeline, the buttons are not drawn.
Can you possibly run modRana from the terminal ? There can be some clues about what went wrong.

Originally Posted by bonsai009 View Post
Hi MartinK,
My question is, mapnik and OpenStreetMap, is this the same? Meap use this foldernames shown in the picture.
Best regards
Mapnik is the name of the default OpenStreatMap renderer. There is also the Tiles@Home project, which uses another renderer, called Osmarender. So, basically:
default OpenStrertmap=mapnik=Open Streat Map I
T@H=osmarender=Open Street Map II.

Concerning the .maps folder, It seems both programs use the same folder names for layers, with the exception of Google Maps vs GoogleVector.

So changing the defaults for tile folder + layer folders should make modRana compatible for most layers with both.

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-08-03 at 15:13. Reason: fix typos

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Bah i erased all folder on modrana_tiles, downladed like 20k of tiles again, but there are nowhere in modrana_tiles folder.

Gonna desinstall and reinstall for see if it s solve the problem.

problem seem come from google staellite map, each time i try put them as map i got grey instead of map

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps