Active Topics

Well. Just for fun I tried to write and run some scripts on my new N9 using its terminal app:
Code:
devel-su
cd /home/user/MyDocs/
vi q
But when I saved the file and tried to do
Code:
chmod +x q
I got this 'Permission denied'. What am I doing wrong? Why root here cannot edit permissions?
Also I tried creating the file in /home/user/MyDocs/scripts/ and it even didn't let me save it! Is it normal? Sorry for such a noobish questions, but I really don't know what to do. I thought things like this should be easily done with N9.

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Your MyDocs directory is probably on a FAT partition, thus doesn't support full file permissions. Also you should use user account when inside your /home/user. Devel-su "root" has not full permissions there.

For convenience (although not necessary)I'd suggest you to save your scripts to /home/user/bin and/or /root/bin, add those directories to your $PATH and run those scripts as respective user they belong to.

Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
Your MyDocs directory is probably on a FAT partition, thus doesn't support full file permissions. Also you should use user account when inside your /home/user. Devel-su "root" has not full permissions there.

For convenience (although not necessary)I'd suggest you to save your scripts to /home/user/bin and/or /root/bin, add those directories to your $PATH and run those scripts as respective user they belong to.
Thank you, it's better now. But i still cannot execute my script (trying './myscript.sh', permission denied). Also chmod +x doesn't say anything bad about permissions, but 'ls -al' then shows that no permissions to the file were added.
I've heared bout develsh command, is it somehow connected with my situation?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 View Post
Thank you, it's better now. But i still cannot execute my script (trying './myscript.sh', permission denied). Also chmod +x doesn't say anything bad about permissions, but 'ls -al' then shows that no permissions to the file were added.
I've heared bout develsh command, is it somehow connected with my situation?
No, it is the FAT partiton that is the problem.
Do as @ladoga says and put the script somewhere else, you cannot run ANYTHING from MyDocs. (unless you have formatted it to some real filesystem, that is...)

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No, it is the FAT partiton that is the problem.
Do as @ladoga says and put the script somewhere else, you cannot run ANYTHING from MyDocs. (unless you have formatted it to some real filesystem, that is...)
And what is the right way to do it? I mean, would it be correct to connect N9 to unix (e. g. kali linux) and format the mounted volume into ext3 or something? Cause I very doubt about it..

Last edited by zxcvbnm3230; 2013-12-09 at 19:10.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 View Post
And what is the right way to do it? I mean, would it be correct to connect N9 to unix (e. g. kali linux) and format the mounted volume into ext3 or something? Cause I very doubt about it..
That's the sane thing to do, of course. But I assume you want to use it with Windows, and then you cannot format it to extfs.

But what I am after, is that do you just really have to have this script of yours on MyDocs? Can you put it to somewhere that it is possible to execute it?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That's the sane thing to do, of course. But I assume you want to use it with Windows, and then you cannot format it to extfs.

But what I am after, is that do you just really have to have this script of yours on MyDocs? Can you put it to somewhere that it is possible to execute it?
Ok, I think you right Anyway, it works perfectly from /root, so, I guess, it will be enough for me. Thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to zxcvbnm3230 For This Useful Post: