Active Topics

I have installed the 5.3.582 PalmOS version of MobiPocket Reader on a 770 (OS 2006) under Garnet VM. It seems to work, except that it can't find any e-books (a fatal flaw for an e-book reader). I don't have hotsync, so I am manually copying .prc e-books to the MMC card. The problem seems to be that MobiPocket only searches certain directories. I have tried directory names eBooks and ebooks, but neither work.

I have not used a Palm "device" before, but the .prc files are DRM-free and are readable by Windows MobiPocket Reader.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

In general, what does Garnet's filesystem layout look like?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Netherlands
Without having tried anything and knowing what I talk about: could it work if you copied the ebooks to one of your memorycards, and then 'install' them from the Garnet VM interface, just like real Palm-applications?

The Following User Says Thank You to POost For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
You do know that fbreader supports non-drm'ed mobipocket books, right?

Installing the .prc e-books worked.

So far as I can tell, MobiPocket Reader now works as it should.

If only there was a 640x480 (or 800x480) option.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
You do know that fbreader supports non-drm'ed mobipocket books, right?
Yes. I was using DRM-free e-books to remove one source of potential problems. I now have FBReader and MobiPocket Reader on the 770, a PepperPad 3 and an iRex iLiad. In each case, FBReader is much better for DRM-free books but MobiPocket Reader is good enough for the few DRM-infested e-books I have.

A couple of screenshots from MobiPocket Reader under Garnet VM. E-book from MobileRead.
Attached Images

Last edited by wallcraf; 2007-11-15 at 08:41.

Its good to see that I'm not the only one (or the first) who immediatly thought of installing mobipocket reader on the Garnet VM ... in fact, for me personally, it's the only real reason I care that Garnet has been setup as a VM.

This wasn't explicitly said in the thread yet, but has anyone fully tried some of the DRM'd ebooks, just to make sure?

I hate DRM as much as the next guy, but the one place that I still just accept it and move-on is with ebooks .. mostly because I find it so convenient to just have the with me, and buy them over the air (I use mobipocket on my N95 all the time, and have on all my S60 devices).

Thanks for being the guinea pig!

-olly

Tags
garnet, palm