Active Topics

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
The iPhone can as well, you are excluding my usage of the term wirelessly.
Oh, you really are a stubborn one. Does everyone have a TV capable of emitting a wireless signal? N900 can be connected to any TV, old or new, you are excluding my usage of TV out on any TV. iPhone can't unless it's wireless and that was his point.

Also, a lot of people still have old school TV antennas on top of their house. They only watch one channel, listening to news, so that ancient technology satisfies their needs quite nicely. Not everyone, is willing to sit in front of a PC and waste time installing Netflix, Skype, Google apps, etc or figure out how to jailbreak an iPhone. People just go on and enjoy life outside of technology. Do you feel that those people are dumb for doing that?

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
if the neo900 ever lifts off, or if I ever catch a glimpse of someone running native emacs on a phone, any phone, I'll climb back out of the apple pool.
Dude, with Apple, you're not in a pool, you're in a freaking tight and deep water well with metal doors locked at the top. You can't even see the light as if having those old school wooden doors on top of the well. Have fun trying to get out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
So you're comparing a 2009 device with a 2013 device and you want us to feel surprised that 2013 tech is better than 2009. Hooray

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
I have no problem with iOS.
Really? Then I don't think you're trying hard enough.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Oh, you really are a stubborn one. Does everyone have a TV capable of emitting a wireless signal? N900 can be connected to any TV, old or new, you are excluding my usage of TV out on any TV. iPhone can't unless it's wireless and that was his point.

Also, a lot of people still have old school TV antennas on top of their house. They only watch one channel, listening to news, so that ancient technology satisfies their needs quite nicely. Not everyone, is willing to sit in front of a PC and waste time installing Netflix, Skype, Google apps, etc or figure out how to jailbreak an iPhone. People just go on and enjoy life outside of technology. Do you feel that those people are dumb for doing that?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...tal-av-adapter

I have the N900 property TV out cable. Your claims are simply not true.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
another iPhone convert [waves hand]

I really enjoyed the n900 but only for emacs on a phone.

I'd still be using it, but like you said, the n900 and at&t was not a good mix. Around here, tmobile has some large dead zones.

I'm all apple now, tried android and hated it. The iPhone is pretty good in my opinion - I actually like the lack of multi-tasking. When the phone rings, you can answer it...everytime.

if the neo900 ever lifts off, or if I ever catch a glimpse of someone running native emacs on a phone, any phone, I'll climb back out of the apple pool.
Perhaps the operative word is native but
I have Fedora on my Galaxy Note 3 and it runs emacs quite nicely with access to files on the internal sdcard.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Why do iPhone owners call their phones "my iPhone"?

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Dude, with Apple, you're not in a pool, you're in a freaking tight and deep water well with metal doors locked at the top. You can't even see the light as if having those old school wooden doors on top of the well. Have fun trying to get out.
This is the ideology I am trying to dispel (as well as with Android). For some reason there is this belief that Apple products are extraordinarily limited (and Android a bit less). There is a screen shot of Fedora on a Galaxy Note 3 running emacs above, please reference these topics from 2 years ago:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=11

And then the topic of "well it doesn't have an IR transmitter" comes into play. Well...

http://lifehacker.com/5817504/turn-y...-10-with-blinq - 5 second Google search.

Hell, when the Girl Scouts are taking credit card transactions using a $10 piece of hardware on iOS then that should speak to it's power (as it must comply with PCI DSS).

I get it, some of you guys have specific need for certain things due to the fact that the N900 is suited just fine for (still to this day), you are in the minority. The majority (including myself) was not aware how much you could do with iOS and Android (yes it takes some tinkering but not nearly as much as the N900).

I prefer iOS over Android. I could have but decided not to jailbreak my iOS7 device which is an iPhone 5S.

When it comes to being practical then iOS and Android wins most of the time for the vast majority of people. This is not publicized and it is met with opposition and misinformation such as:

N900 can be connected to any TV, old or new, you are excluding my usage of TV out on any TV. iPhone can't unless it's wireless and that was his point.
You can buy the TV connection cable from Apple the same way I bought the TV connection cable from Nokia in 2008. But you can also use protocols to mirror your device onto other devices. I am able to mirror my device onto my Sony Google TV via an app and onto my desktop (Windows 7) computer using AirServer (http://www.airserver.com). You don't actually need to buy a physical AppleTV, the technology allowing me to do this is not as closed as you might have been lead to believe it is.

I have no reason to come here and brag or gloat, but to inform. I would like to see a maemo.org type community working on iOS stuff. I would like to see emacs working on iOS (and there are people who would want it: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/co..._port_for_ios/ and I belive people in this community, once they get past the stigma, could do it without much effort.)

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Even if Jolla was an option for me (which it's not, I am in North America) I don't think I would trade my iPhone for it for a few reasons.
This is exactly the point for the people who keep using N900 or went with best open solutions that they could find like Jolla.

They have their reasons. They are happy. They are doing everything they want to do. They are fine spending more time than an iPhone user to get the bank account balance.

But what I don't understand is why you insist that iPhone is the only phone the whole world should be using. Like everyone should be driving Toyota Corolla because that is the most reliable car.

To be honest, I have used iPhone before I bought my N900. So, most probably before you did. I owned many smart phones before that including Treo, Blackberry, etc. After N900 I used N9 and currently Jolla.

Yes, I am in US using Jolla. Only 2G, but I have wifi where ever I am most of the time. I am driving other times, so I can't use it any way so it does not bother me.

Before I bought my N9, I lost my N900 at a restaurant. I can tell you even after several years and many phones I have seen and used after that, I miss my N900 most.

In fact, the only previous phone I miss is the mighty N900!!!

If you like iPhone, great! Keep using it. Millions of users in the world loves it. I am glad you are one of them.

I like to be a little different. So does most of the people here. I don't try to tell others that they are wrong. I don't feel that iPhone cannot do the job.

I just chose to use what I want! That's all. So what is your point?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
I would like to see emacs working on iOS (and there are people who would want it: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/co..._port_for_ios/ and I belive people in this community, once they get past the stigma, could do it without much effort.)
Ok I'll bite, what's the story with emacs? I just tried pkcon install emacs;emacs and welcome to GNU Emacs is there with colours and all (mer-tools repo though enabled so not sure if by default, might be gpl3). iOS is linux based, no? You run sshd... Open source... Where is the problem? Or does Stallman intentionally make emacs source uncompillable on apple devices? (btw vim is installed by default I believe so elvis is winning!)

edit:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquamacs
GPL license so should be git clone;iMake away?

Last edited by szopin; 2014-05-30 at 21:53.