Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I would love to see your source for that. Because if they aren't supporting PulseAudio, that suggests they aren't going to be making a version for Maemo 5... Unless they do some hack using PulseAudio's compatibility mode...
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?sho...post&p=1181271

There is no PulseAudio support in the MID client as this isn't currently required for any of the MID devices, however the next Linux desktop client will likely have this
So, my guess is either wrapper or a longish wait until pulseaudio support trickles down from the (already a year late) linux client.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?sho...post&p=1181271

So, my guess is either wrapper or a longish wait until pulseaudio support trickles down from the (already a year late) linux client.
There's also ESD wrapper for PulseAudio, you know ..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
There's also ESD wrapper for PulseAudio, you know ..
Yes, there is/was also an ALSA wrapper for PulseAudio and still, there were times you had to jump through hoops to make ALSA Skype work with it. I take nothing granted with regard to Skype on Linux anymore

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
and Skype can kiss my *** goodbye.
That might be ideal. Then you can settle with open protocols such as SIP.

BTW, I've tried Sype-through-Fring on my girlfriend's iPod Touch, and it just hangs.
Try Nimbuzz. Recent versions support Skype.

If you read the announcements and read what the Skype spokesman says he refers to Symbian. AFAIK its a native port; not J2ME. And even then, J2ME is not available for Maemo. IIRC Skype for Linux is a Qt application. It might as well be ported to Maemo instead.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
The bottom line is whatever rights Nokia negotiated for the use of third party code are not transferable.
Given Nokia have not yet responded to the requests completely, you sound awfully sure about the "bottom line" without having been party to any negotiations, discussions or contracts.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Are you also a Lawyer? Have you ever tried to negotiate with a corporation for code on behalf of a not for profit or non profit organization having 0 (zero) assets? How did that work out for you?

Just wondering.
No. But I don't see why a Mer Foundation couldn't get code from the likes of Skype for the reasons stated in post #183. SW licensing is about providing a benefit to both licensor and licensee, which I have been involved with successful licenses in a variety of different situations. I don't see how one party being a non-profit changes the basic proposition that much.

(non-profits, including a Mer Foundation, can have valuable assets - and a good mobile OS can be a valuable asset)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
No. But I don't see why a Mer Foundation couldn't get code from the likes of Skype for the reasons stated in post #183. SW licensing is about providing a benefit to both licensor and licensee, which I have been involved with successful licenses in a variety of different situations. I don't see how one party being a non-profit changes the basic proposition that much.
It'd be a lot easier and more effective for people to bother them as customers.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It'd be a lot easier and more effective for people to bother them as customers.
I would agree that the customerbase is the more important factor (see post #183).

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
The mention of a java version of skype (above) made me think about the possibilities of java on the new platform.
I've played with Jalimo on my N800 and it's nice, but not being hildonized, it can't do what I need (freemind without a keyboard for one example, not running so slowly I want to cry for another).

To the point:
Has anyone heard any news at all about whether or not Nokia is (finally) willing to license Jazelle (Java directly on the OMAP3 hardware) for Maemo 5/RX-51?
This could really make it a fantastically versatile and powerful platform... imagine hardware accelerated Android (just one example), not to mention all of the software that would immediately become available/usable.
Is it really that expensive that, given a mass-produced product, the price is too large of a percentage of the resulting device to be feasible?

(I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything... sorry if this has been discussed since the N810 was released)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The current Skype client for S60 is written in J2ME. J2ME is not full Java implementation. It is a stripped/embedded version (Mobile Edition).

Skype client for Linux requires Qt.

If you read the news about Nokia & Skype partnership it is integrated in the OS, and it will be included in the N97 firmware. Is J2ME by default installed on Nokia N-Series?

Skype is also porting to Android and Mobilin. But these are 'light' versions.

So at least part of the code is cross-platform, and its ported to ARM, and the full Linux version uses Qt. Perhaps a full Linux version ported to ARM is not far-fetched.

In any case, I don't mind that they want to profit on their infrastructure but I do think its nice to be able to pick your own VoIP client. Thats why I suggest SIP and open IM protocols like Jabber.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: