Active Topics

No wonder there are so many people today!

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/1...id=100&tid=106

Welcome slashdotters!

I'm here! Just registered.

The flood gates have been opened.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
I've read the Slashdot posts and I can tell everyone here that a lot of those people over there are clueless. And a lot of them are idiots. The 770 is a revolutionary device because it finally has all the necessary components. Everything that's come before has been missing key components. That's why the 770 is different. What has to happen next, though, is that we all have to understand what exactly the 770 is capable of, and what it's not capable of. News at 11.

Originally Posted by Remote User
I've read the Slashdot posts and I can tell everyone here that a lot of those people over there are clueless.
Oh they're not so dumb. I'm one of them, well off and on.

You need to Grok Slashdot, it's like more a way of life than it's anything else Just one big whirl of "you insensitive clod" and "can I run a beowulf cluster of 770s" jokes.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by andymulhearn
Oh they're not so dumb. I'm one of them, well off and on.
I'm one of 'them', too, I have to admit. Last time I posted over they somebody accused me of and ridiculed me for 'buying' an early user ID 1479. Who would have ever imagined that an early Slashdot user ID was something that anyone would pay attention to, much less hold against anyone? (in fun, of course)

Seriously, though, the 770 is anything but a PDA with a high res display (225 dpi, actually, compared to, say, a 1280x1024 17" display which is typically only 100 dpi. That's over 5 times as many pixels per square inch. The 770 can't be understood or appreciated if it's viewed simply as a handheld Linux computer. It is that, but it's so much more, and I doubt than anybody can get their head around everything that the 770 and its followup models will become.

Originally Posted by Remote User
I've read the Slashdot posts and I can tell everyone here that a lot of those people over there are clueless. And a lot of them are idiots. The 770 is a revolutionary device because it finally has all the necessary components. Everything that's come before has been missing key components. That's why the 770 is different. What has to happen next, though, is that we all have to understand what exactly the 770 is capable of, and what it's not capable of. News at 11.
I know what you mean about the Slashdot idiots. I usually don't read the responses when something like this is posted. I read Linux-Devices often and knew about the Nokia 770 since it was annouced. Mike Cane blogged on it at PalmInfocenter. I am a Palm OS and Linux user.[well now OS X] And now I am here.

I read /. for the jokes. It isn't a humor site?