Active Topics

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
See my post above yours for correction/explanation.
Yes, to be exact the 'before giving devices' should be 'before loaning devices'. Any other correction?
I was talking about distributing GPLed software. I don't think that device being given, sold or loaned matters here. In this context the device is just a medium for distributing software. Otherwise it would be quite easy to circumvent GPL by lending CDs with software instead of selling or giving them. Same for linux based hardware (routers, media players/recorders, phones,...) Loaning them to customers would hardly make any difference regarding GPL compliance.

Agreed. Yes. Sure. Definitely. :-)
Well, except that maybe sometimes it can take more than year of respectful waiting We still don't have sources for modified uclibc used in N8x0 initfs :-)

But anyway, we are both missing the point here. The core point was that there should be no legal problem with supplying people with loaned devices with same firmware they already received with the device. For sure there are other reasons (like lack of time/resources) which makes the decision understandable so it really doesn't matter much.
Sorry missed the idea, my bad.

True, in practice it's pretty hard to do.

The uclibc is a really bad case. Need to see if something can be done. At least Stskeeps started digging at it again (I'm happy to have someone with a mandate and time to take on these things :-) ).

The Following User Says Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
We still don't have sources for modified uclibc used in N8x0 initfs :-)
For good measure, I think we can scrap the 'modified' part.. I'm still getting more and more sure it's a couple of revisions ahead of 0.9.28 release of uclibc in their public SVN. The tarballs I've found has no differences at all to that SVN revision. Can someone check if the uclibc then matches initfs so we can get the issue out of the world?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
For good measure, I think we can scrap the 'modified' part.. I'm still getting more and more sure it's a couple of revisions ahead of 0.9.28 release of uclibc in their public SVN. The tarballs I've found has no differences at all to that SVN revision. Can someone check if the uclibc then matches initfs so we can get the issue out of the world?
To be contined here https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3373#c18

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Just a mention to [maemo-community] URGENT! Updating the info for flashing in case that someone here wants to help. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I guess it is impossible to get the image out of the N900? Just Download... Is it?

It would be a nice way for a backup. Just reflash the whole content after finished playing riskful games.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
This is something that interestes me too, cause Im going to be developing for this device and there is allways a danger something goes wrong (well I have that unique skill). So is there any way to make full backup of the device and just restore it if something goes wrong?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes, there are more ways. Root filesystem uses ubifs so it is matter of creating ubi/ubifs image out of whole root filesystem and flashing it later (flasher-3.5 can flash such image).

Sadly I don't have N900 so I cannot give you working step-by-step guide but it should be possible, see
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/f...tml#L_mkfubifs

Also it may be enough to simply clone system to microSD card (via tar pipe) and boot from it. When system is on sd card it may be easier to just forget everything about ubi/ubifs and internal flash and just stay with ext2/ext3 on SD card and backup via tar.

There is experimental support for N900 in bootmenu done by Stskeeps
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...885#post372885

Once I get the device, rootfs backup and restore procedure and booting from sd card will be first in the list.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Any updates?
I really wanna backup the whole system, before I start testing "under the hood".

Its me again!

Fanoush, did you get your device yet? Or anyone else wanna try making full backup system?

Luckily I havent crashed my device yet *knocks wood*

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sheffield
I wanted to flash my n900 in windows 7x64 with flasher tool v3.5. I used all the command lines as mentioned in the flashing wiki but always get the same message which iam not sure at all. here is the screen shot...

Please help me. cheers

Last edited by krishna9349; 2009-12-13 at 17:47.