This looks like a really cool program. I can't wait to try this out on my car. Now it would sure be nice if my n800 supported usb host mode so I could buy a usb scanner and not need a firefly for an extra $100

Also, is there a way to switch the displays to the American units I'm familiar with? Or will they switch automatically after connecting to an American car?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
I wonder if there would be any way to add OBD-II compatible interface to a motorcycle.

That would N800 a really cool replacement for the regular meters. And it could switch between navigation mode and the "dash" mode :-)

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I have a meeting with the company who makes the car modules next week. Thankfully they're in Phoenix too. What questions would you all like me to bring?

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Ah yes, Carman looks quite nice. It's been a while since my last post, but it's news like this that will drag the dead from their graves to comment on. Very cool application. Wasn't there a dedicated device that was shown awhile ago that performed a similar function? I believe I had a post about it somewhere on NET9. Hmm...
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by sdrman View Post
This looks like a really cool program. I can't wait to try this out on my car. Now it would sure be nice if my n800 supported usb host mode so I could buy a usb scanner and not need a firefly for an extra $100

Also, is there a way to switch the displays to the American units I'm familiar with? Or will they switch automatically after connecting to an American car?
Unfortunately in this first version we're not able to switch between units, but it's already on the plans.

Originally Posted by =DC= View Post
Ah yes, Carman looks quite nice. It's been a while since my last post, but it's news like this that will drag the dead from their graves to comment on. Very cool application. Wasn't there a dedicated device that was shown awhile ago that performed a similar function? I believe I had a post about it somewhere on NET9. Hmm...
Maybe this is the device you're talking about:

http://www.drewtech.com/products/dashdaq.html

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by etrunko View Post
Maybe this is the device you're talking about:

http://www.drewtech.com/products/dashdaq.html
Yep, that's the one. Looks like inspiration material to me.

By the way, here's the NET9 post talking a bit about it.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Last edited by =DC=; 2007-02-17 at 14:49.

Hey First post here - HELLO.

How could I know if it will work in my old car ('94 BMW E34 520), and which module for the car do you suggest buying to use the N800 as my on-board computer?

Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
Hey First post here - HELLO.

How could I know if it will work in my old car ('94 BMW E34 520), and which module for the car do you suggest buying to use the N800 as my on-board computer?
I may be wrong (i doubt it), but OBD2 is only for 1996 (model year) and up cars. I bet if you read the linked docs, you should be able to find a list of cars that are compatible. i remember seeing it when i first saw the post on it...

Im being really nice today: http://carman.garage.maemo.org/faq.html

Thank you for the link phatman81.

They say most cars after '96, but probably some before '96 are also supported. I'd have to do a research on that