I have been trying to connect to my University WiFi which uses a WPA/EAP settings and I can't figure out how to. When I had the Nokia N8 I was able to connect using these settings:

connection Name: IU Secure
data bearer: wireless LAN
wireless network name : IU Secure
Network status : Public
WLAN network mode: Infrastructure
WLAN security mode : WPA/WPA2
Home Page: none
Use access point : automatic
WLAN security setting : EAP
WPA2 only mode : off
EAP plug in setting : EAP-PEAP only check
EAP tab:
Personal Certificate : not define
Authority Certificate : Thawte server CA thawte
User name in use : user define
user name : IU username
Realm in use : user define

realm: Blank
TLS privacy: off
Allow PEAPv0 Yes
v1: No
v2: No
EAP tab : EAP- MSCHAPV2

Username : filled
Prompt password : no
Password filled
ciphers : check all cipher

How would I put the same exact settings on my N9 and make sure it works properly? Any help would be appreciated!

Im at IU too. The phone isnt detecting the certificate for some reason.

Yeah, Maybe pr 1.1 will fix it. What variant are you using? Also did you go to UITS and get hlp from them?

Im using the Singapore Variant and I dont think UITS can help.

Originally Posted by evpalmer View Post
Im using the Singapore Variant and I dont think UITS can help.
Got the same variant as you, any luck so far?

Same thing here trying to connect my N9 (already upgraded to PR 1.1) to my university's WLAN network (Cisco based WiFi network with WPA2+EAP-PEAP+MSCHAPv2 and authentication through a Microsoft Radius). Setting explicitly the username manually in the advanced Options (with or without domain information), like some other people have suggested, doesn't help either. It works perfectly at home with my private WPA2-PSK WiFi, though.

Btw, on the N9 you can't select the PEAP version nor the cipher type or any CA (as far as understand it's not needed in this mechanism). I know you could do this on Symbian phones and they did work. As far as I know from others, the N900 had already the same problem (and see also numerous reports and threads here on maemo.org and elsewhere); the Linux implementation done by Nokia is somehow messed up.

I think WPA2 "Enterprise" is an extremely critical issue for business and serious use of the N9 - Nokia should absolutely work on this! Any help and hints are greatly appreciated in the meantime.

Last edited by kuelma; 2011-11-17 at 18:37.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Malvern, PA
Originally Posted by kuelma View Post
Same thing here trying to connect my N9 (already upgraded to PR 1.1) to my university's WLAN network (Cisco based WiFi network with WPA2+EAP-PEAP+MSCHAPv2 and authentication through a Microsoft Radius). Setting explicitly the username manually in the advanced Options (with or without domain information), like some other people have suggested, doesn't help either. It works perfectly at home with my private WPA2-PSK WiFi, though.

Btw, on the N9 you can't select the PEAP version nor the cipher type or any CA (as far as understand it's not needed in this mechanism). I know you could do this on Symbian phones and they did work. As far as I know from others, the N900 had already the same problem (and see also numerous reports and threads here on maemo.org and elsewhere); the Linux implementation done by Nokia is somehow messed up.

I think WPA2 "Enterprise" is an extremely critical issue for business and serious use of the N9 - Nokia should absolutely work on this! Any help and hints are greatly appreciated in the meantime.
Please someone help! Is there an answer to this problem out there???

Okay, So about a month ago, I got the internet to work at my University but it was very slow and glitchy... it connected and would work randomly... I will post how I did it when I get back home but try it and see if it works for you.

Connection Name: IU Secure (Your WI-Fi Name)
Network Name: IU Secure (Your WI-Fi Name)
Use Automatically: No (You can click yes)
Network Mode: Infrastructure
Security Method: WPA EAP
WPA-EAP type: PEAP
Select Certificate: None
EAP Method: EAP MACHAPv2
Username: (Your username)
Promp Password: No
Password: (Your Password)

Advanced Settings:
Leave everything as it is but change
Manual Username: (your username)

Save it and test it out if it works or not. Mine worked around 50% of the time because I always got through registering my device with the University. I am saying this off my memory so something might be wrong but I will re-post once I get back to IU. Let me know if it worked or not.

Also, one of the reasons why it doesn't work is because we need to select a certificate which I can't see when I click on certificates. If someone can figure that out, we should be able to easily connect.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Malvern, PA
Originally Posted by chiron View Post
Connection Name: IU Secure (Your WI-Fi Name)
Network Name: IU Secure (Your WI-Fi Name)
Use Automatically: No (You can click yes)
Network Mode: Infrastructure
Security Method: WPA EAP
WPA-EAP type: PEAP
Select Certificate: None
EAP Method: EAP MACHAPv2
Username: (Your username)
Promp Password: No
Password: (Your Password)

Advanced Settings:
Leave everything as it is but change
Manual Username: (your username)

Save it and test it out if it works or not. Mine worked around 50% of the time because I always got through registering my device with the University. I am saying this off my memory so something might be wrong but I will re-post once I get back to IU. Let me know if it worked or not.

Also, one of the reasons why it doesn't work is because we need to select a certificate which I can't see when I click on certificates. If someone can figure that out, we should be able to easily connect.
I have tried those settings. (I get "Can't Authenticate") I am sure my log in credentials are correct. I don't think it is a certificate problem either. I looked at the setting on a friends Andriod phone and he doesn't need any certs to connect. Obviously the setting options are different. Is it possible that the N9 doesn't support WPA-Enterprise???

Does anyone know that to be a fact??

Last edited by ss29er; 2012-01-06 at 18:45.