Changed

The Following User Says Thank You to Tofe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Felipe Crochick has decided to move his award (N9) from the Community Awards to the Coding Competition. In his own words:

"I would to suggest it to be a prize for the best maemo/n900 application so we may see more of those."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Felipe Crochick has decided to move his award (N9) from the Community Awards to the Coding Competition. In his own words:

"I would to suggest it to be a prize for the best maemo/n900 application so we may see more of those."
Thanks ivgalvez, and a huge thanks to Felipe - that's very generous of him, and very welcome

The only question might be how we'd rate the best maemo/n900 application, would it be another voting category for members? Personally, as it's his device to give away, i'd suggest we'd let Felipe choose his own winner from the entries

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-22 at 16:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
kojacker: thanks for adding me, It's my first application, so I'm in begineer category

The Following User Says Thank You to ivanph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Oh, and btw we've been 'open' now since Monday and already have 11 users added to the participants table which is a great start! (A big thanks to marrat, Khertan, Tofe, 4ndreaSt4gi, titilambert, hiemanshu, chrm, bibek, microe, karmaflux, Shin2_D for signing up so early on). Let's hope the table keeps growing and growing over the coming weeks
Indeed the table has been growing A big welcome (and thanks) to taixzo, ayushkedia, Taziff, artohyv, piggz, rcolistete, sakya, ivanph, kunal_the_one, and brahim98 for adding their names to the wiki over the past week or so - we've 22 on there now, so it's a great start but we always have room for more! Also great to see some new names and some long time friends of the competition back again too

in terms of the bounty, we have around €380.00 collected so far and we're still collecting up til the end so that will grow - thank you everyone for being so generous! We'll have to decide how to split the eventual amount up, so what do you all reckon?

Here's our categories and prizes again (leaving out Felipe's award for best n900 app for the moment):

•Desktop, System & Utilities (2 N950, 2 N9)
•Games, Graphics & Multimedia (2 N950, 2 N9)
•Network & Communications (2 N950, 2 N9)
•Location & Navigation (2 N950, 2 N9)
•Other (2 N950, 2 N9)
•Updates and development on existing apps (2 N950, 1 N9)
•Beginners (made up of entries from the 5 main categories) (2 N950)

I think traditionally we've focused on giving the bounty share to the runners up who maybe wouldn't win a device. We have so many devices this time we have enough even for 4th place in some categories.

So.. first question, we have 7 categories so should we split the bounty pot equally into 7 smaller pots as a beginning?

Second question, should we use for the members who don't win any device, or use it to award the winners who do?

It probably won't be a very large amount awarded to each person, but it's still important we spend your money responsibly ofcourse, so I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-26 at 16:05.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Another big welcome and thanks, this time to swinkels and marmistrz for joining in and adding their names to the participants table. swinkels is developing a nyan cat game - the word 'nyan' is Japanese for meow, right? - interesting to see how that turns out marmistrz is making us happy by spoiling us with two entries - MeeCoLay and MaeLyrica

Looking at the table so far, I notice we have entries for every category except one - poor sad and lonely Location & Navigation . My spidey-sense is starting to tingle about this category a little bit. I've asked around but i don't see much development happening in this area right now. I think if there's still no interest shown by the end of the first month - 11th July - we should think about doing something with that category. My initial instinct would be to split up the popular "Games, Graphics, and Multimedia" category (it has 8 entries so far) so "Games" becomes a separate category, and then join "Location" together with "..., Graphics and Multimedia" into a revamped "Location, Graphics, and Multimedia" category. Sound like a plan?

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
As promised, helex donated 50,00 EUR;
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...ity_Prize_Fund
Double thanks helex

Not much feedback on the bounty split so far so let's throw out a proposal and see if y'all like it.
  • Bounty split into 7 equal shares to cover the 7 categories.
  • The entry placed immediately below the last device winner would win a 55% share of the category share. (In most cases this would be the 5th placed entry)
  • The next ranked user would win 45% of the category share. (In most cases this wouldbe the 6th placed entry).
  • So in total there would be 14 shares of the bounty (2 for each category).
  • The device winners wouldn't receive a bounty share as the device is seen as enough of a prize. However, if they don't want to take up the reward of a device (for exampe, if they have a device already and don't feel they need it) they could swap it with one of the bounty share winners if it's agreed by both people.

In regards to assigning the device prizes, for categories with a mixture of both N950s and N9s available then the first placed winner chooses which they want first, then second place, and so on until they are all allocated.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Looking at the table so far, I notice we have entries for every category except one - poor sad and lonely Location & Navigation . My spidey-sense is starting to tingle about this category a little bit. I've asked around but i don't see much development happening in this area right now. I think if there's still no interest shown by the end of the first month - 11th July - we should think about doing something with that category. My initial instinct would be to split up the popular "Games, Graphics, and Multimedia" category (it has 8 entries so far) so "Games" becomes a separate category, and then join "Location" together with "..., Graphics and Multimedia" into a revamped "Location, Graphics, and Multimedia" category. Sound like a plan?
I agree with your suggestion.

Mine : looking at Maemo 5 categories, I suggest to change :
- Other
to :
- Education, Science and Other
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas