Closed Thread
@Estel
There is possibility that gsm modules mounted in mobile phones can stand more abuse than those in computer modems. Is good to know that you already tested setup with external antenna and nothing bad happened, it encourages me to do some testing on my own (some day).
I guess that comparison of signal quality between setup with both external and internal antenna connected, and setup in which only external antenna is connected would remove all doubts.
As for my fried dell modem, in that case cause of damage is only my assumption that I admit. But issue of potentiality disastrous effect of usage of two antennas at once in device not prepared for this was also addressed when I was looking for workaround repair for damaged antenna connector in another gsm modem (I basically riped whole before mentioned CRC 9 connector with piece of pcb on huawei modem), existing solutions assume work around circuit for external or internal antenna only, not both. Something about changing impedance of antenna path resulting in possibility of frying antenna amplifier, so I took those warnings seriously

As for production idea, after reading thread about usb repair I see that you also live in Poland, prototyping here is ridiculously expensive, it is actually cheaper to order prototype from across the globe (ever tried emachineshop?), or manufacture own professional tools like you did

The Following User Says Thank You to hamil_hamster For This Useful Post:
I'm interested in. But price is a bit too much it seems (at least for me). Does it include service of mounting parts? Does it include shippings? Any lower prices for ppl in poland?

Edit: what is difference between cover only and full-body, separate from the fact the former would have plugs for antennas?

Last edited by majaczek; 2013-04-04 at 01:33.

Estel,

good to have you back. Sorry for the "downtime" on my side, had also things to struggle that came up suddenly & pretty hard ... things are improving, but if I'm through that's clear in 3-4 months.

Nevertheless: Get in touch w/ me on the known address(es), I'm back to the stage that I can help and support ..

regards

peter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PEB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by majaczek View Post
I'm interested in. But price is a bit too much it seems (at least for me). Does it include service of mounting parts? Does it include shippings? Any lower prices for ppl in poland?

Edit: what is difference between cover only and full-body, separate from the fact the former would have plugs for antennas?
It doesn't include shipping or mounting (although, if you live in same country as me, shipping will be cheaper, obviously).

Mounting should be relatively easy (no soldering), and I could do it in price, if one want's to afford both sending old N900 to me and cost of shipping back.

Backcover is... Well, backcover replacement, in "mugen-sized" variant (for dual-cells), or normal flat-ones, both with better kickstand, etc. It will be compatible with normal N900's body (only)

Body replacement is whole N900 body (except screen module, which stays, including slider). It contains matching backcover, in either flat or fat variant (and different lock mechanism, as keeping it compatible with old body/backcovers would interfere too much with new features).
---

It was all mentioned in this thread, but I understand, that it may be hard to read through all pages. When it'll become available for "regular" purchase (which is closing very rapidly, lately ), I'll update first page with all details. For now, it was about gathering ideas and funding. Feature set got hammered already, and while body replacement still needs good amount of work, backcover-only (which is going to arrive first, as announced) is at polishing stage.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Is this possible? A small wifi router in the backcover that extends wifi greately?

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
W-what?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Is this possible? A small wifi router in the backcover that extends wifi greately?
That sounds rather unlikely. A "router" is, after all, an entire system on a chip, with dedicated ram/storage (even if tiny).

Maybe one of the antenna ports on the motherboard goes to wifi, allowing better signal/receptivity that way?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
^^sorry for freaking u guys i mean a wifi repeter that extends signals allowing me to connect from long distance is it possibe? A small repeter that can be sticked to the backcover or a small device that can be small enough to carry in pocket i want a range of 300 meters or more is that achiveable via any means? correct me if i again posted something meaningless

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
where is the pic of that case??????? i have'nt seen yet

The Following User Says Thank You to seanmcken For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Maybe one of the antenna ports on the motherboard goes to wifi, allowing better signal/receptivity that way?

It does that's the point, we have 3 Hirose U.FL ports, for WiFi/Bluetooth, GSM, and GPS. Single connector in replacement body will allow to access them all (so, only one of them boosted at the same time, *unless* you use fractal external antenna, that is tuned for both 2.4 GHz (wifi) and both GSM frequencies, for example). Personally, just after finishing this project, I start to design portable, tranasformer-like antenna, that will be optimised (via moving parts) to all 4 frequencies (GSM and 3G, despite using same port, use quite diferrent wavelength).

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
A small repeter that can be sticked to the backcover
Real wifi repeater is totally different thing. What you're describing, is so-called signal booster, which is a hoax, and work only due to (in)famous placebo effect.

Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
where is the pic of that case??????? i have'nt seen yet
Patience <insert any "patience" demotivator here>.

Pre-ordering people, and other kind of project sponsors, are going to see it first, that is for sure.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel