Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Penang, Malaysia
hi joerg, i just want to know, will it have a dc-in jack for charging, as well USB OTG???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blood_falcon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by blood_falcon View Post
hi joerg, i just want to know, will it have a dc-in jack for charging, as well USB OTG???
Possible. Not yet finally decided on this detail. For sure we will have some charger-contacts on hackerbus in battery compartment, so modders can easily connect their inductive charging or solar panel or whatever. A jack however is also a question of placing the aperture for it somewhere, in a way so it doesn't break like... N900 USB port

/j

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
@joerg_rw
regarding charging via USB, presumably, we will need new chargers as
socket/plug will be different..
Sorry if I am stating the obvious but I am not familiar with all of these modern technologies.......

Last edited by macey; 2014-06-23 at 14:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by macey View Post
@joerg_rw
regarding charging via USB, presumably, we will need new chargers as
socket/plug will be different..
Sorry if I am stating the obvious but I am not familiar with all of these modern technologies... (ex mainframe sysprog & electronic engineer during the '80's )
The planned micro-AB USB receptacle can take the micro-B plugs as used with N900, as well as micro-A plugs used for OTG on mode-A "USB hosts". See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Mi...cro_connectors, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Ho...ce_receptacles

So no, you don't need any new charger or whatever, you can use all your N900 accessories, plus some new ones with micro-A plug for easy USB hostmode, plus presumably all the chargers that don't adhere to "Nokia's" fatcharger spec (shorted D+/- pins) since we will probably use a much smarter charging circuit than found in N900.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-23 at 14:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
It's now possible to donate via PayPal!

See: http://neo900.org/donate

We're looking into some possibility to donate via BTC as well (but don't take that as an announcement, it's nothing more than "looking into" yet :P )
Thank you! I have been hoping for this, as without a credit card I had no way to preorder (without going through a middleman and paying double VAT).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Because we can't outperform Nokia on miniaturization. Even building exactly same thing as Nokia did in N900 would not allow us to go smaller than they did. Rather we would need additional space to implement some things without the very special customized solutions Nokia had at hand, since those sometimes need high initial investment into tools and machinery. Exactly same reason why we use an existing case instead of building our own nicer one.
And in the end you want to have more in Neo900, not less - right?

/j
Damn straight...
the ONLY time to apply the best lesson utilized by " 'mer-cans"
(Canadian slang )
"Super-size Me!" .... "Go big or go home"
(which does account for their nationwide health problems )
Hehe

Uber-style-it ....
Uber-tweak-it...
Uber-embellish...
Fatten 'er up...
Fill 'er up...
Stuff 'er silly full o' gear....
make her the B-52 of the fleet.
Why... if we couldn't ...it would become hair-ily similar to other devices then...
Would ANY of us here be happy if it was just the same size or smaller and couldn't put stuff in?
Would we be happier If we couldn't shove anything else into the device...
hell...everything we could in it?
2.5 ain't so bad...compared to extended backs or my beast for example.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Penang, Malaysia
ah, i've forgotten to ask this to you, joerg_rw. Are you going to implement dual SIM? What I meant by dual SIM is one SIM slot is for GSM and the other is for CDMA.

The Following User Says Thank You to blood_falcon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blood_falcon View Post
ah, i've forgotten to ask this to you, joerg_rw. Are you going to implement dual SIM? What I meant by dual SIM is one SIM slot is for GSM and the other is for CDMA.
We're looking into an option to support dual SIM, but for now that's a dumb dead switching of SIM only (SIM Shift, DSSS, Pseudo-Dual), since the modem module firmware doesn't support real Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) *). We hope for implementig this SIM multiplexing in a way so that a possible future modem firmware upgrade might support it. So far we heard no details from Cinterion/Gemalto regarding this, so we neither know if such firmware upgrade ever will come, nor can we do better than just guessing how we best interface the multiplexer to the modem. We also need to check certification situation which maybe introduces restrictions what can be done to the SIM interface.
We're not really considering to place a second modem module in for "Dual Talk" (DSFA)

Simple bottomline: we would like to get true dual SIM, but for now modem support is missing for that. We might be able to offer electronic SIM swapping (only one of both SIM active at any time. IOW you're not available on two numbers concurrently)

cheers
jOERG

*) don't ask me what happened to the recent version of this wikipage, it seems somebody removed a lot of useful info, thus this link is to an archived version

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-24 at 02:49.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Finally got around to donating.
Thank you for allowing donations via paypal

Although I think I might of forgotten to put in my country into payment notes. If i did forget it was meant to be Australia.

The donation was $100EUR under the name Chris G******.
I can provide more details in a PM on request if you can't identify the donation.

Thanks,
Chris

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilew For This Useful Post:
[2014-06-30 Mon 13:42:25] <Kabouik> Hey there, I received a few days ago a confirmation that my initial 100€ funding was transfered to Neo900 UG for a total amount of 86.80€
[2014-06-30 Mon 13:43:16] <Kabouik> The difference is because of fees, but can someone confirm me that I am still in the list for a Neo900 with that donation, or should I complete again to reach 100€?
[2014-06-30 Mon 13:45:18] <DocScrutinizer05> your donation counts as the original amount
[2014-06-30 Mon 13:45:30] <Kabouik> Perfect, thanks DocScrutinizer05

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-30 at 12:47.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!