I also got the email and called them. They're specifically reverifying order information. The woman I had talked to also said that though they don't know when they'll ship, they still plan to ship before the end of the year.

I'm just glad that *something* official has come out. Plus I see this as a sign that they'll be shipping soon

Mel with her fingers crossed.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2005 @ San Francisco, CA
I also recieved the email. This is the first email I have received since my confirmation at 5am on 11/15 (when I placed the order). I spoke to a lady at Nokia, and she confirmed my order. She said I was among the first orders (I got in before the "Slashdot"ing latter on the 15th).

She said the orders would begin shipping on December 30th.

Gotta love this quality service. Don't communicate with your client for 3 weeks, then send them a message threatending to cancel the order unless they call you. When they do call, quote a ship date 6 weeks later than originally quoted (I was told it would ship on 18th when I ordered).
http://www.markandjo.com/markblog

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Cumberland Center, Maine, USA
Originally Posted by waddell
most people who placed pre-orders would just go to compusa and get one. Others will not cancel their online orders because of the price difference, which is also understandable.
Or because the closest CompUSA store is 4.5 hours away :/
O well, I called and I said something like "I got an e-mail asking me to reconfirm my order..." and she half interrupted me and said "Ah, the Nokia 770?" Hehe
So, it sounded like this was an automated e-mail because the Nokia website store does not allow a backorder to sit doing nothing for too long. She also gave me the date of Dec 30th, and told me I was near the front of the line and should be in the first shipment. I considered asking about CompUSA getting devices before us, but then thought about reasoning similar to waddell's.
O well, nice lady anyways.

Originally Posted by mk500
She said the orders would begin shipping on December 30th.
That script must have a random phrase generator built into it somewhere.
I was told that they still didn't have any 770s in stock, were waiting for them, and that they'd ship in December. It could have been worse, I suppose -- no flooding, tidal waves or Godzilla attacks.

My random Nokia customer service experience included a seemingly honest admission, though: the woman I talked to said the reconfirm email was sent in error.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Internet_Cafe_W3
I called CompUsa's within a 400 mile radius of me today, I got the only one available in my state. It's smaller than it looks, It's late and its charging. took 2 1/2 hours there and back I hope tommorow it's worth all this dillema. Also picked up a blue tooth keyboard-think outside.

Well i got mine i was upset about how the preorders turneder out to just be for marketing, but this this thing is freakin awesome "Thehand writing SoEtware S OK" might be usable after awhile the CUSA people did look @ me likke was crazy but they found it in the back . Any comments on if Ishould have got the 100 dollar 2 year protection.

Originally Posted by mr.wilson
Well i got mine i was upset about how the preorders turneder out to just be for marketing, but this this thing is freakin awesome "Thehand writing SoEtware S OK" might be usable after awhile the CUSA people did look @ me likke was crazy but they found it in the back . Any comments on if Ishould have got the 100 dollar 2 year protection.

I went for the one year since I'm hoping a new version with more memory, etc... will come out sometime within a couple of years. I only bought the warrantee since this is a new product which I will be carrying in my pockets, so it will see some stress. Normally, I don't get extended warrantees of any kind, since your basically betting the store that the thing you just bought is a bigger piece of junk than they think it is.
They make a lot of money off adding 10% to the price tag since the failure rate in the first year for something from nokia should be a lot less than 10% - which is why salespeople call it "the cheese".

i got an email from nokiausa letting me know they had shipped my 770 this afternoon. fedex (santa) says i should have it on tuesday or wednesday. 329 total with tax. now that's happiness.

now all i need is a calendar and name address phone database program.

john

Last edited by jdr93; 2005-12-09 at 23:11. Reason: editing

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Philly
Originally Posted by jdr93
i got an email from nokiausa letting me know they had shipped my 770 this afternoon. fedex (santa) says i should have it on tuesday or wednesday. 329 total with tax. now that's happiness.

now all i need is a calendar and name address phone database program.

john
That is all right here:
http://oss.kernelconcepts.de/maemo/app-install.shtml

Wow, mine shipped from Nokia and is now in my hands. I broke down and bought one at CompUSA for my girlfriend for xmas on Monday, and left my nokia order alive. It showed up Friday. A one-week delay between compusa and the nokia online orders....not as bad as I'd feared after all, since when they made me reconfirm my online order, they said Dec 30th was the ship date.