They use that phrase so much "We learn from this", it's almost a mantra. But that learning is at our expense, no ?
Don't they get that we 770 users "learn from this", too ? :-)

I for one will nurse my (still beloved) 770 for as long as possible, and definitely will wait to see what really happens with the N800 in one year's time.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
TA-t3 hit the nail on the head. The experience and status of the 770 is unfortunate, for sure, but if Nokia DOESN'T learn from it then the platform should be killed outright. I'll draw an analogy to the N-Gage: Nokia *almost* got it right with the QD, but having failed to properly analyze the intended market, screwed up bad enough to finally call it quits. That can still happen here IF the lessons learned don't turn into corrective action-- which, unfortunately, depends more on the managers than the engineers.

The reverse logistics process will make or break this product family. If it isn't fixed, consider yourselves the early adopters of some very unique products. :/

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
N-Gage is alive and kicking, and will return to a Series 60 phone near you soon... http://futurewatch.n-gage.com/flash.html

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
N-Gage is alive and kicking, and will return to a Series 60 phone near you soon... http://futurewatch.n-gage.com/flash.html
But that isn't the device, Mil.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But that isn't the device, Mil.
Since so many people want youtube videos, i thought i should note that they play fine with latest mplayer for 770.

I grab them with
http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/

ssvb and the mplayer team are my heroes.

I remember that i used to have trouble getting smooth playback of some divx on a pentium-III 450mhz. The mplayer gurus have given me a player that can do XviD on a 220mhz ARM cpu. That is very, very impressive.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
I'm happy with the update. No issues, but then I had only to reinstall FBReader and Evince. There may be minor improvements in UI and browser response times, but there's no question video stability is improved. At last, my little reading machine is a halfway decent portable movie player.

I still can't seem to get either the PDF viewer or Evince to open pdfs from Harpers.org, a crying shame when there are 150 years' worth of articles there. :-(

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Oh well, The Atlantic is available, anyway.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
Originally Posted by Zhe View Post
I still can't seem to get either the PDF viewer or Evince to open pdfs from Harpers.org, a crying shame when there are 150 years' worth of articles there. :-(
Footnote: I found a simple workaround. Merely turning off images in the pdf reader allows the N800 reader to open these text-based pdfs (which were made with open source software incidentally). Go figure!