Is there a way to do that from command line?

i cannot even find a way to close this bookmarks window using any command without killing the browser itself - which i find very weird since if i click its X button it does not close the browser.

Last edited by impeham; 2012-12-01 at 10:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
I don't have a N900, but you could try something like this with wmctrl to make the application think its being closed from the useri nterface:
Code:
wmctrl -c Web
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
I don't have a N900, but you could try something like this with wmctrl to make the application think its being closed from the useri nterface:
Code:
wmctrl -c Web
i tried it before, but it has the same affect - it closes both windows

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
(EDIT) Ahh.. scratch that: you mean you want to programmatically close the bookmarks window but not the whole browser?

Originally Posted by impeham View Post
Is there a way to do that from command line?
i cannot even find a way to close this bookmarks window using any command without killing the browser itself - which i find very weird since if i click its X button it does not close the browser.
That's weird. If I open microb, I get the bookmarks window. I click on a bookmark and it opens in a separate window. I then click on "X" on the bookmarks window and that (and only that) window is closed. The opened bookmark is still there and working OK.

Note: I'm on stock PR1.3.1, no CSSU.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
i tried it before, but it has the same affect - it closes both windows
Then you are probably going to have to make a script which selects the correct window with it's window identity to avoid closing every single one of them. You can get the list of open windows with this command:
Code:
wmctrl -l
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
Then you are probably going to have to make a script which selects the correct window with it's window identity to avoid closing every single one of them. You can get the list of open windows with this command:
Code:
wmctrl -l
I tried killing a single browser window with wmctrl -i -c <window id> but it closed all browser windows.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
You guys like it the hard way... Why not calling the appropriate dbus method to start a new browser ?

dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.osso_browser" --print-reply /com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.open_new_window string:"about:blank" boolean:false

Et voilą!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tofe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tofe View Post
You guys like it the hard way... Why not calling the appropriate dbus method to start a new browser ?

dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.osso_browser" --print-reply /com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.open_new_window string:"about:blank" boolean:false

Et voilą!
The problem is that it opens the default browser - in my case Opera, and i want specifically microb to open with my URL for this case.

to make it open the microb browser with the URL you can use:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest="com.nokia.osso_browser" /com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.switchboard_launch_microb string:http://www.google.com

however - this also opens the bookmarks window which is the main issue.

Last edited by impeham; 2012-11-23 at 12:20.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
MicroB can be started as "browser", for instance, in case of "browser --view=box" the window with list of bookmarks is closed as soon as you open anything in browser. That's not to say that this style of browsing will not require stylus and patience.

Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
MicroB can be started as "browser", for instance, in case of "browser --view=box" the window with list of bookmarks is closed as soon as you open anything in browser. That's not to say that this style of browsing will not require stylus and patience.

Best wishes.