Active Topics

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Daniel Stone (who worked at Collabora on OS200x/maemo/Meego devices) did a good presentation about 'The Real Story Behind Wayland and X' back in February. It might help provide some context whilst we're on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Yep, that's a good presentation.

Here without Youtube: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.ogv

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
add to this the news that now Canonical is pushing into the tablet market and looking at how to manage DRM content.......

Seems like business always gets in the way of OSS.

I'm now doubting if libhybris would have been opened up for them to use like this if the end game for Canonical was just to further their own business model.... especially when others closer to us have opted for the DRM free choice.

then again, that's the fun of knowing that there's plenty of other linux flavours to enjoy...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Yeah, that DRM part is in sharp contrast with Sailfish.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
add to this the news that now Canonical is pushing into the tablet market and looking at how to manage DRM content.......
Do you have any links to this DRM business that Canonical is looking at? I didn't find anything with a quick google search, and these DRM shenaginans are something that pisses me off and can have an influence on what platforms I'm interested in the future.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I already imagine games developers say - forget this mess, stick with Windows?? And driver developers even more. Nvidia will just shrug and say - forget it. And there will no Wayland driver...
It didn't bother them to adapt their drivers every time Microsoft changed the windows driver framework... OK, the numbers are different so they put up with it to sell loads of GPUs, but from a pure technical point of view, windows drivers change(d) more.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Do you have any links to this DRM business that Canonical is looking at? I didn't find anything with a quick google search, and these DRM shenaginans are something that pisses me off and can have an influence on what platforms I'm interested in the future.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxOTc

This is only at the discussion stage clearly, however it is worth bearing in mind that Canonical already has a close (did i say data harvesting? - Stallman called it spyware) relationship with Amazon, and DRM will be an issue that needs resolving if they want to push that relationship further with regard to a tablet ecosystem supporting media and streaming...

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2013-03-07 at 02:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Am I the only one here who is on the paranoid side and tend to think they named it to be similar to MER just create that more confusion in Linux mobile landscape?

"This new platform has MIR!" "Sweet, does it run SailfishOS?" "Sure....I think so..."

When I had first heard the rumors that they were going to start using their own windowing system, I instantly thought, "wow, they think they have enough pull to completely split from everyone else and be like Android?" It, is like they want to be their own incompatible Linux stack... they are even talking about having their own SDK... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxOTg

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
I had such thought, but I doubt the name Mir will be even known by those who could be confused.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Mir == Peace in russian, I think?