Active Topics

I remember when telling people that the N900 is a let down, I then got 40 pages of people grilling me what I posted.
But now I have come across may people saying the same thing I did and they ain’t getting spit roasted.

I read someone’s post and they were saying that there is something new everyday on the N900. I would like to know what exactly? I’ve had the N900 for a very long time now and so far the apps on the OVI store hasn’t changed, still can’t buy Angry Birds, there hasn’t been a firmware update in ages, no sign of MeeGo being user friendly, the apps manager in the device very rarely gets anything decent to install.

Don’t get me wrong I think the N900 is great for the other things its can do, eg… plays avi, full flash browser, the built in memory plus its expandable, video recording quality, you know the rest… apart from that most phones these days do the same.

I would like to know where this maemo 5 is heading?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think the announcement 6 months after the release of the Nokia N900 about MeeGo and the lack of updates pertaining the upgrade path and lack of communication from Nokia have tempered the enthusiasm.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
A simple question: Have you enabled the Extras-Devel repository? FM-booster, Flashlight, Rec-focus-widget, eCoach, Maecode, EasyDebian, Blender, PS3daemon, Lirc, Google Chrome etc.

I do not think everything has been tried out that is possible for the hardware. Interesting device but the OVI-store and support from Nokia suck. Except for Angry Birds

The Following User Says Thank You to AtteK0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
agree for me the killer blow has been the announcement of meego......probably first time ive seen an OS life span so short

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
agree for me the killer blow has been the announcement of meego......probably first time ive seen an OS life span so short
Lessons learnt - Never go with a Half Baked OS

I would say most of the excitement has died due to frustration waiting for 1.2 and the uncertainty of what Meego will mean for our N900.

I also strong agree about the "something new every day" statements thrown around.

Hopefully 1.2 will open a flood of apps with QT and we'll see at least the same amount of apps as Symbian gets going forward. We all know the hardware is there.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
They are tired of empty talks and got back to more useful occupation. I hope that they are developing new wonderful applications for N900. "Calling all innovators" deadline grows closer.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
If there were any excitement from my part, it was while I was waiting for new applications and updates and the new Flash 10.1 (which was advertised before the launch to come in Q1, if I remember correctly).

No one can wait for an eternity. Even my near boy-ish interest and enthusiasm for this device became more or less crushed down lately.

Now I am waiting for MeeGo...

Originally Posted by slobodsky View Post
They are tired of empty talks and got back to more useful occupation. I hope that they are developing new wonderful applications for N900. "Calling all innovators" deadline grows closer.
I agree, I purchase the n900 because of the potential of the phone. But I still love it even though it has almost nothing as far as games apps (yes i have extras and nes/snes/gba etc emulators). if i ever figur out how to make games and apps for this phone i will put it in my phone.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
Your feelings are your own, of course, but we've known Maemo 6 (codename: Harmattan) would be trailing about a year behind Maemo 5 (codename: Fremantle) for about as long as we've known about Maemo 5 itself. Indeed, Nokia have been releasing significant updates to Maemo approximately yearly since the beginning. As the first MeeGo release Nokia will ship is still very much Harmattan, about the only change an end user would see from the Maemo to MeeGo transition is the new formal name for the OS.

The greater number of open OS components and increased collaboration on base OS and API layers should only benefit users, though invisibly to most, and the "big reveal" (to steal a phrase) leanings of Nokia weren't brought on by MeeGo. So, to my mind, MeeGo is often blamed for far more than it deserves.

Tags
what do, you mean?