Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by almamo View Post
I don't think they're late with anything... Jolla announced their Sailfish SDK by Q1 2013 and a device before summer 2013. That's all and we're still in time - everything else was brought of by others. .
They've claimed SDK by the end of this mth (see FOSDEM), but wider announcement is still Q1, & availability for purchase is still during (or the end of) Summer.
At one point they said before Summer, that kinda clashed with other earlier assertions of during or by the end of Summer.

When is 'summer'? Always confuses me as it is different everywhere.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by genchigenbutsu View Post
Aug 1st possibly!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
They've claimed SDK by the end of this mth (see FOSDEM), but wider announcement is still Q1, & availability for purchase is still during (or the end of) Summer.
At one point they said before Summer, that kinda clashed with other earlier assertions of during or by the end of Summer.

Marko Mattila, employee of Jolla had a showcase on Sailfish SDK at FOSDEM and it came up that the SDK would be available by end of February. Jolla as a company never confirmed that, so I think we have to be careful with that. Also 'available' can be interpreted in different ways. Available/ready for "friends & partners" at MWC2013?

I've never heard them say during/end summer, but could have easily missed that. Maybe they meant availability by end of summer? Personally I always compare the Jolla device schedule with the N9 schedule 2 years ago:

February: Rumours, but non presentation of device (N9 and Jolla device)
June: Presentation of actual device (N9 so far)
September: Public release of phone (N9 so far)

@Dave999 Summer in the Northern Hemisphere begins June 21 if I remember right. So we'll see a Jolla device by June 20!

UPDATE: Via Twitter - #Jolla's CEO Marc Dillon will have a keynote at #MWC13 on "Mobile as a Platform for Innovation" on Feb 28 at 9:30am in Hall 4, Auditorium 1.

Last edited by almamo; 2013-02-14 at 12:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
And there the hole message by Jolla:

Jolla at Mobile World Congress 2013

This year we will be focusing on face to face discussions with partners, customers, analysts and media during MWC. We will present the Sailfish Software Development Kit (SDK) that will be soon available as an Alpha release for the Sailfish community. To arrange a meeting with Jolla during MWC please email us info@jolla.com.

Jolla's CEO Marc Dillon will be giving a keynote speech on the topic "Mobile as Platform for Innovation", on February 28th 9:30am in Hall 4, Auditorium 1. In addition the top spokepersons from Jolla will be available for media interviews during February 25-28th. Please contact press@jolla.com to pre-book an interview.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by almamo View Post
Marko Mattila, employee of Jolla had a showcase on Sailfish SDK at FOSDEM and it came up that the SDK would be available by end of February. Jolla as a company never confirmed that, so I think we have to be careful with that.
Yes, they did, plenty of folks got confirmation by Jolla folks at FOSDEM.
That doesn't mean a wider announcement about the product will come then, that still sits at Q1, unless otherwise advised by Jolla.
Of course there's always a chance that the SDK will be delayed...

I've never heard them say during/end summer, but could have easily missed that. Maybe they meant availability by end of summer?
Yes during/end of Summer = in the Summer period, or by the end of it...
The most recent reportings of what they've said have been fixated on "before Summer".
But I think Jolla's earlier statements are likely to be more accurate, assuming there's no significant delay.

Personally I always compare the Jolla device schedule with the N9 schedule 2 years ago:
February: Rumours, but non presentation of device (N9 and Jolla device)
June: Presentation of actual device (N9 so far)
September: Public release of phone (N9 so far)
Also remember N9 didn't arrive in decent no's to most official countries till long after Sept, even for the 1st official countries it didn't start shipping until approx. Sept 20.
If Jolla does no worse than that, then they're doing okay for a tiny start-up, still not ideal ofc, if they want to maximise their chances of success.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-14 at 15:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by genchigenbutsu View Post
Naturally they're referring to the northern hemisphere Summer...
That's where the bulk of the world experiences summer, it's where most of the 1st world is, it's where Jolla & most associates are based, & it's where most customers & likely to be.
Northern Summer varies... but generally speaking it's June-August (maybe a bit of Sept too).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't think they had a specific date in mind when they said summer.
Summer in September? Are you crazy

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I don't think they hade a specific date in mind when they said summer.
Well, obviously.

Summer in September? Are you crazy
Do some research

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-14 at 15:36.

Also note that Canonical said they'll target US market right away, while Jolla said they won't target it at first. Is it the lack of resources to set up delivery logistics and etc.?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open