Notices

Got the n900 today (feels like christmas already :-) )

So, i was able to test rapier:

Test 1: Can find application within Application Manager

I found it in the list of all application available after enabling the extras devel repository.

I did not find it on the application manager "search" widget looking for "rapier" though.

Test 2: Can install from Application Manager
yes

Test 3: Can install (load) Bible from within Rapier
yes

Test 4: Can view text from loaded Bible
yes

Test 5: Can utilize all application functions
yes, and no...

Worked:
module download
preferences settings (default module, last page read "bookmark", append line at the end of verses)
clucene indexing and searching index.
strong's number display and dictionnary

Not working:
changing font size
full screen (that s frustrating, i may have a closer look at this after i m bored playing with the whole new thing :-) )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pamadio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
Sorry I said I was going to post this last night, but I didn't get around to it until my lunch break.

Yes, after I finally got the extras-devel repository to work.

Yes

Test 3: Will it start through the Application menu
No: gconf error

Test 4: (A few days later) Update Rapier via the update manager
Yes. This worked flawlessly

Test 5: (After Update) will it start through the Application menu
Yes

Test 6: Can install single bible from the manage modules (remote) interface
Yes

Test 7: Can install multiple bibles from the manage modules (remote) interface
Yes. However, I had to initiate the download a second time to the download failing the first time. I am not sure if this was due to an internet connectivity or server availability or if it is a code bug. It might be something to keep on the radar.

Test 8: Can view text from the multiple bibles installed
Yes

Test 9: Can the installed bibles be indexed
Yes. I tried this twice. The KJV took 10+ minutes but it worked.

Other features:
Strongs.
I manually installed the Strongs DB as the program required. It seems to work correctly with the KJV Strongs numbers. It may be easier for the user if we can have Rapier grab the zip file and unzip it in the correct directory.

Search
This functionality crashed stalled out when I search for “For God so loved” in the KJV. I have to force quit the application.

Strongs
This functionality seems to be working correctly without issue.

Last edited by flux41; 2009-12-09 at 17:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flux41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
Result: Yes
Steps to Reproduce:
1) Enable Extras-Devel
2) Search for “rapier”
Note: I didn’t catch what category it is under, but it is in there.

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Select rapier in application manager
2) Agree to usual Nokia “If it breaks, it’s not our fault” message
3) Tap install
4) App Manager does the rest

Test 3: Can install (load) Bible from within Rapier
Steps to Reproduce:
1) Open Menu (Note: menu is in OS2008 style, not Maemo5’s usual finger-friendly set up.)
2) Tap Manage (Note: manage window pops up from bottom like normal)
3) Open the remote tab
4) Tap “refresh”
5) Pick the language
6) Check the boxes for the Bibles you want
7) Hit ok
8) Wait. (Note: the application gives notifications about what it is doing. Installing a Bible gives 4 notifications: 3 pertain to copying the modules, and 1 pertains to the operation being successful.)

Test 4: Can view text from loaded Bible
Steps to Reproduce:
1) Bible automatically shows up on Genesis 1:1 when it is installed
2) Menu > Modules > (Version) switches bibles

Test 5: Can utilize all application functions
Result(s): Everything so far!
Tested functions:
1) Book navigation menu
2) Chapter navigation buttons
3) Indexing (More detail later)
4) Search
5) Module Manager (Including remote Bible installation)
6) Strong’s numbers (in KJV)
7) Append new line (Didn’t work until I rebooted the application, needs to change chapters to take effect)
8) Change default module
9) Multitasking (Worked great, even in the middle of indexing)

Final notes:
UI – The UI is still very OS2008, which is to be expected for a port. I will note, on the other hand, that I am surprised how much has been Maemo5ified. Here are some things of importance:

Scrolling: The Bible text scrollbars are big enough to be finger friendly, but in all of the menus you’re gonna need a stylus or a fingernail. Kinetic scrolling would be nice here. Also, you can drag text upwards but it tries to drag and select at the same time; it did this in OS2008 as well. Maybe we should use hover mode? That’d be cool…

Menus: As stated before, the main menu needs to be in the finger-friendly format. This is the most out-of-place thing in the whole application.

Book navigation: Maemo5 really doesn’t do pulldown menus anymore; it uses a kinetic scrollable menu system. This would be really nice for the Book Chapter and Verse navigation pulldowns. (For example, look at the date and time selection system in the calendar app. I can’t remember if that’s included in the SDK)

Indexing – It worked!! I set it to indexing the ESV, and it finished in about 5 minutes. Also, indexing worked in the background and only used idle CPU cycles instead of dominating the entire device. “top” in Xterminal showed it running at about 80% CPU, and 4.4% MEM. Once indexed, a search for the word “world” came up in about 2 seconds.

Please note: indexing never worked for me in OS2008. It would sit there and think for a while, and then pop open a window that said “something went wrong.” No such messages here, I am very impressed.

Fullscreen and text resizing – As noted by Pamadio, neither of these are functional, because the device and OS work a little differently from the N810. There is no fullscreen button, (it drives me nuts) and the up down rocker is almost always volume only. Please note that the web application does use the rocker for text size, so that’s not out of the question.

Incredible port, it’s looking great! I feel confident enough in the application to leave my paperback Bible at home next Sunday. (That's saying a lot)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zibeb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Hi
Sorry for sounding a bit unlearned in these matters but I would very much like to get the Bible on my N900 - KJV if possible. Can someone point me to a specific post of how to do this, as much of what I have read in this thread is double dutch to me.

Thanks..
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Last edited by cardiff-blues; 2009-12-09 at 21:41. Reason: correcting grammar

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
@cardiff-blues: sorry for the technical-dutch of this thread, but its mainly centered around development. I believe that the Rapier website has a how-to for how to use the application. However, this has not been updated for the N900 since Rapier is still undergoing testing for the N900/Maemo 5.

@Zibeb: yea, being that this is only a port,, the UI just won't see the polish that many other Maemo 5 apps have. Once its ported and the author/lead developer is satisfied, it will pretty much be retired to a maintenance mode (unless there are others who'd like to tweak and update it).

Hence the request starting this thread to make something that is more befitting Maemo 5 and beyond. Things like hover mode, better finger-usability, and text support will be a lot better becaus eof the lessons learned from Rapier. We've gained a ton from Pamado's work, and so we'd like to leverage those lessons as much as possible so that Katana (and indirectly any ported application) can be developed and used effectively. Thanks for your feedback though, you give lots of solid items to pay attention to for Katana (personally am keeping notes for better process wireframes to be built).

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-12-09 at 22:18.

Originally Posted by flux41 View Post
Search
This functionality crashed stalled out when I search for “For God so loved” in the KJV. I have to force quit the application.
I am not sure clucene search works for whole sentences. I always used it for a single word only.

I would love to test this, I just got my n900 this week, just let me know.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Just go ahead and test; please format your report using the testing script in post #256.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Yes, I have tested it and it works great.

A status update for Katana:
* I now have an actual device, so I've been able to do live testing.
* Speed: Loading is a little slow (~5 seconds), but after that, it's reasonable snappy.
* Integration: Kinetic scrolling, hildon menu, and portrait mode are all working.
* Functionality: Basic browsing, verse selection, and searching work. Search results aren't displayed nicely on the actual device; I'll probably work on this next.
* Packaging: I went ahead and created the debian/ files needed to create a proper .deb package. This is the first time I've done this, so it might not be done correctly, but it works for me. Nathan/pamadio, would you mind looking over the files to make sure they look right?
* Qt integration: I'm using the qt4-maemo5 packages in the extras repo. These seem to be working well, with the exception of gesture support; see below.

There's still a lot of stuff not done:
* Right now you swipe vertically to scroll; I'd also like to be able to swipe horizontally to page up/down. This is on hold because Qt's gesture support is broken on the N900 right now (they have screencasts with it working, but their gestures sample doesn't work on the device.)
* Better use of the keyboard: starting to type on the keyboard should either pull up the search dialog or verse selection - I'm not sure which.
* I haven't started on module download/installation.
* It would be nice to have configurable font size.
* Oh, I temporarily borrowed BibleTime's icon. Someone should come up with one. I really think that it should be a Bible, since there's nothing in the name to indicate that it's a Bible reader.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword