Closed Thread
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
What we need is some inside information about the UK update.
What about our community council?
What about them?

Are you guys reading this?
So what if they are, see previous answer.... They are not employed by nokia. (Hint, work for nokia, find out answer, backtrack.... work for specific nokia department and find out answer, we all know nokia can't speak to itself let alone customers....)

We just need some kind of confirmation about the UK update!
Nevvvvvvvvvvvver gonna happen, until it gets released that is

Why is it delayed?
See above answer

That's all!
It could be any number of reasons (e.g. not full moon, waiting for vernal equinox, world peace)
(I'm going for answer on a Blue Moon)

SPEAK TO US NOKIA!
(That line sounds like it's the end of a prayer?!)

meh.... another fun fun day in this thread

Sick in bed... so will be here to bug you all! yay!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SirMuttley View Post
Jesus guys it's been 2 days, 48 hours.
But that's simply not good enough for the good Nokia buying, voting public of this Land.

The UK to get firmware updates from nokia within a reasonable timeframe and in any case at least within 24 hours of everyone else Party, demands 24 hours or less.

Vote for us!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillyTheFish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You should also check that you've not (at some point) uninstalled the core update file. In X Terminal, run:
Code:
dpkg -l "mp-fremantle-*"
If it's marked as "un" then you'll need to re-install the package (should be mp-fremantle-generic-pr for Europe I think).
There were some updates available with apt-get update, but the product version did not change.

About the mp-fremantle-* package, it is neither "i" nor "u", so i dont really know what s its states:

~ $ dpkg -l "mp-fremantle-*"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
pn mp-fremantle-g <none> (no description available)
~ $

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by SirMuttley View Post
Jesus guys it's been 2 days, 48 hours.

Reading this forum people might be mistaken for thinking the firmware was released last month.
The fact still remains that it's been 2 days *for no reason*.

Compound this with the fact that Nokia's track record for releasing UK variant firmwares is distinctly less than stellar, and that while this update isnt that important the 1.2 update is, people are basically correct to be worried.
Consider that, as a couple of examples, the E72 unbranded simfree UK variant still doesnt have a V22 firmware update over a month after it was released, despite the fact that Vodafone in the UK have been able to get their carrier-branded firmware released already.
Consider also that the 5800 Red edition sold in the UK, whose sole only difference from Non-red editions is that the case has a red trim on it and the firmware variant has a different number attached, is now 3 or 4 firmware versions behind, because Nokia appear to have simply forgotten this phone exists, and have not released any updates for it.

Personally I reflashed my N900 to the Global firmware as I can fully see that UK N900 users are going to get the same treatment as UK users of practically all of Nokia's other devices get (ie totally shafted), with updates lagging further and further behind or stopping altogether, as per Nokia's track record.

Last edited by nidO; 2010-02-18 at 10:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by evad View Post
Don't panic, Kathy. I perfecly know Fargus' not a kiddie.
Ahh, so it was aimed it me. How kind.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
By the way I notice that the Bug has been marked as fixed in Bugzilla where you couldn't send e-mail if you use Mail for Exchange and Nokia Messaging at the same time (possibly just for Google Mail and Google Calendar).

Does anyone know if that's in this update? I would check myself but I'm in the UK...

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London - UK
As far as I can gather flashing to the "global" firmware doesn't cause any kind of problem when using it in the UK (am I right?). So, if I get the pain of flashing it over and done with now then in the future (i.e. in a couple of weeks when PR1.2 comes out) I'll get the update immediately and won't have to camp out on lists like this. In which case why don't we all flash to global and stop worrying?

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
All these gripes and this thread will soon be forgotten when the update icon flashes. It will be full of yipees and the world will be a better place. Seriously come on its an intermediate update at best and the only reason it is delayed is because of technical difficulties on Nokias side. Its the only answer Nokia is not into conspirisies or taking down of governments there is just a problem releasing the uk varient at the moment nothing more nothing less. Simples

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by open-collar View Post
As far as I can gather flashing to the "global" firmware doesn't cause any kind of problem when using it in the UK (am I right?). So, if I get the pain of flashing it over and done with now then in the future (i.e. in a couple of weeks when PR1.2 comes out) I'll get the update immediately and won't have to camp out on lists like this. In which case why don't we all flash to global and stop worrying?
Correct. Flash to the global firmware now and future OTA updates will be on the global tree, so you'll get them straight away.

Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
All these gripes and this thread will soon be forgotten when the update icon flashes. It will be full of yipees and the world will be a better place. Seriously come on its an intermediate update at best and the only reason it is delayed is because of technical difficulties on Nokias side. Its the only answer Nokia is not into conspirisies or taking down of governments there is just a problem releasing the uk varient at the moment nothing more nothing less. Simples
Incorrect. Nokia have been significantly delaying releases of UK variant firmwares for years, in some cases never releasing them at all. See post 1104 for a couple of examples. If this is a technical glitch, it's one that happens to practically every firmware release for every device nokia make, and it's one that in a lot of cases never gets fixed.

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
There were some updates available with apt-get update, but the product version did not change.

About the mp-fremantle-* package, it is neither "i" nor "u", so i dont really know what s its states:

~ $ dpkg -l "mp-fremantle-*"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
pn mp-fremantle-g <none> (no description available)
~ $
I have no idea why mp-fremantle-generic-pr was not installed, but if i try to install it, it complained because of some funny version of libvte4_0 i had installed (with the fix for bz#6009 that works but is still not applyed in the official package).

After removing libvte4, i was able to install mp-fremantle-generic-pr , then i rebooted and i have the correct product version.

Well, and now, i have bz#6009 again too...

Anyway, thanks for the tip :-)

Closed Thread

Tags
firmware, my n900 is allergic, no soup for you!, panicky in the uk, pr1.1.1, updates r kewl, whining about whiners, yay - an update