Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's nice to ask.

And I do stand by my previous point; there's absolutely nothing a holder of a patent can do if you have a cleanroom implementation of a SW block or a feature and you are not making money with it.

The purpose of holding a patent on something is that it gives you the right to sell licenses for commercial use of the patent.
The first point is not true at all. Cleanroom implementations is a copyright concept, not patent related.

As for the second point ("making money" aka Lucrativité) it depends on your local law.

Obviously Swype will say no, and now you may have brought their attention.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Why do you guys actually "waking up sleeping dogs"?...
Not sure if you're joking, but if you're serious: there is already a long discussion here in a public forum about whether or not it's safe to release this software. Swype's legal department can see that just as well as you or I can.

As I see it, by asking Swype there is little to lose (they say "no way!" and we are in the same boat as now) and potentially much to gain (maybe they will say "Yeah cool").

Of course, as javispedro points out, it's very possible that Swype will say no, but then again: they are already aware that Swype is wanted for Sailfish. Perhaps the recent discussion here will give them some impetus to authorise this or perhaps release something themselves.

Still, I don't see how we are any worse off than we were before mariusmssj got in touch with Swype.

Changing the subject slightly: I wonder who answered "I am happy with the current vkbd" in the poll? Talk about low standards!

Finally, I'd like to say a big thank you to eber42 for trying to make this happen. With Swype and actual properly-working calendar functionality, my must-have wishlist for Jolla would be complete.

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-07-07 at 16:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Changing the subject slightly: I wonder who answered "I am happy with the current vkbd" in the poll? Talk about low standards!
mmmm, actually I did not answer the poll (and would not answer like that, as I need arrows on my kbd and made them... arrows not being present in the default kbd...)

BUT I do actually hate swype more than the original keyboard

I tried to use it on N9 and it was such a POC it is unimaginable, I could not write a simple message without incredible amount of wrongly guessed words!!

So for me, swype is of no use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
I tried to use it on N9 and it was such a POC it is unimaginable, I could not write a simple message without incredible amount of wrongly guessed words!!

So for me, swype is of no use.
Hmm. Was this in English, or another language? I've only used Swype on N9 in English and I found the experience mostly very pleasing. One or two words consistently guessed wrong, but other than that it was (for me at least) a fast and accurate way to input text: both prose and more demanding stuff like passwords.

...and even if you don't like Swype, I don't see how hunt-and-peck is a good alternative, but then it's all about the user experience and that's very subjective

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Hmm. Was this in English, or another language? I've only used Swype on N9 in English and I found the experience mostly very pleasing. One or two words consistently guessed wrong, but other than that it was (for me at least) a fast and accurate way to input text: both prose and more demanding stuff like passwords.

...and even if you don't like Swype, I don't see how hunt-and-peck is a good alternative, but then it's all about the user experience and that's very subjective
Tried it with english, finnish and bash.
English was passable, finnish horrible and shell script writing impossible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Tried it with english, finnish and bash.
English was passable, finnish horrible and shell script writing impossible.
Oh man, swype for bash would be awesome (autocompletion would be tricky), would definitely put the will-swype-care to rest (similar to the personal assistant writeup for nemo by qwazix: http://play.qwazix.com/grog/?p=738)

efit: if you change the project to be bash centric (dynamic dictionary fed by tab/tab/y and ls in the background to get a list of available commands, after space available only ls part, unless /...) normal users looking for swype could just modify the dictionary to be static english, two birds one stone

Last edited by szopin; 2014-07-07 at 19:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
@droll Levenstein distance is good for spelling mistakes if you can get individual keystrokes. In case of a "swype"-like keyboard it does not work (IMO) because it's not possible to isolate individual strokes.

The current algorithm is based on geometric properties of the curve drawn. It walks through the tree of all possible words (with scoring & heuristics applied very soon to trim the candidates tree) and try to assign a score to every possible word based on properties showing user "intention" (distance to key, speed, sharp turns ...).
ah, that means you have all the shapes defined for each word in the dictionary. this system should be easily adaptable for most languages. sorry, i'm not trying to copy anything, i'm just trying to understand how you do this - who knows I might be able to help with your codes if I have time.

how do you store the geometric details? by vectors? and how do you decompose say a curve (written by a hand) into a straight line that you can compare against the geometry you have stored in your database?

also, i'm assuming you have another program or script that takes a dictionary or word list and converts them into the corresponding geometric representation?

gosh, so many questions! I better stop now. I just find it fascinating

anyway, regarding the release question - you might consider doing a limited release with people you trust just to do more testing before you make a full public release (while waiting for the rights / copyright / patent questions to be answered).

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Still no reply from Swype. I don't think they even care

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
For now i have not got enough information to make a basic risk analysis, so the release is now on hold.
If you haven't already started talking to someone at Jolla (more officially than my reading this and chiming in on this thread..), it might also be an idea to do so.

I can't make promises here, but I think we'd have some resources to be able to help out in *some* way. I'd suggest mailing developer-care@jolla.com.

(And waiting a while. Things might be a bit slow with the summer holiday season on us. )

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Still, I don't see how we are any worse off than we were before mariusmssj got in touch with Swype.
Hm, no, now its brought to their attention. Before, they might have not noticed it, or, wouldnt care. Now, they will care

Me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype